SXP Extreme Defender: New Owner Review

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:00 am
Hey all,

New member here. My wife got me a shotgun for our anniversary and I had been kicking around the whether to buy an 870 tactical and mod it out or buy the SXP ED which already had most of what I wanted on it and just purchase a few peripheral mods for it (tac. light, nice looking foregrip possibly quad rail with a fore pistol grip, etc.) When I ran the numbers on the mods for the 870 it seemed like a much more economical buy to get the SXP. So I did. I stripped and cleaned the packing goop off of it and hit the usual oil spots after installing the barrel during the snow storm, wishing it was nicer outside so I could put it through the paces. After a week of 5-20 degree highs I finally broke down, donned the coveralls, and made some noise today.

Magazine Capacity

I was pleasantly surprised that despite the manufacturer's specifications of a 4+1 capacity, I was actually able to load 5+1 using 2 3/4" 00 buckshot rounds, the rounds I would be loading for home defense anyway. I've seen a lot of posts asking about mag extensions, here and elsewhere, so let me hit that briefly. I have done some research just to see if there was anything available for a quick plug and play extension for this weapon. The short answer is no, there isn't. The magazine has to be modified itself to be extended and even then the extension would have to be from a different manufacturer. That being said I'm of the ilk that if you need more than the 5-6 rounds the weapon holds standard to stop a threat, you're probably in need of something besides a shotgun. If you want higher capacity for looks, fun, or you're just too lazy to reload while target practicing then you can certainly spend the cash and time to add a few extra shots, but for practicality sake this weapon is perfect as is from the factory.

Handling

The SXP ED comes with a factory installed ATI buttstock including rear pistol grip, ghost ring sights with the rear sight mounted just behind a picatinny rail, 2 front picatinny rails for lights, etc. just forward of the foregrip, and a composite foregrip.

If I had one gripe about the factory setup of this weapon it would be the factory ATI furniture which is not adjustable. An adapter can be purchased from ATI to make it adjustable, which seems like a way for Win. to sell cool looking shotguns and ATI to make some money on the back end for the adapter kit that honestly should have been factory installed and sold as a package at a slightly higher MSRP, but not full price for a plunger pin, spring, and lever. That being said, I have never shot a 12 gauge shotgun that handles recoil the way this one does and a great percentage of that can be attributed to the ATI recoil pad.

The ghost ring sights made it easy to acquire targets quickly, and let's face it they just look cool. If you're used to shooting iron sights on rifles you will love these.

The gun fired and cycled virtually flawlessly. I was able to empty 6 rounds on target at roughly 35' in just under 6 seconds after only firing 5 previous rounds from it. I say this because the revolving bolt assists in reload time but it does take a bit of getting used to if you're used to a straight rack shotgun. With a little practice I would put the action on this weapon as one of the fastest I've shot in a pump gun. I will note that it did have a bit of a hiccup shooting 2 3/4" 7.5 target load with low brass causing me to double rack between shots, but that very well could have been operator error while I was getting used to the action on the gun. Overall I would say this gun shoots and cycles as well as or better than most, and exceptionally for the price.

Overall I would give the SXP Extreme Defender a 4.5 out of 5 based on looks, price, and how the gun shoots and handles from the factory and a possible full 5/5 with a few minor mods. For first time shotgun purchasers/shooters looking for a reliable home defense weapon, or just a fun gun at the range I would definitely recommend this one. The low recoil (even shooting 00 buckshot) was easily handled by even my mother, who offered to buy ammo the next time I take it out if she can shoot it again, makes it a great home defense weapon for anyone who might pick it up should the need arise. I hope this review has been informative and helpful for anyone thinking about buying the SXP ED. My apologies for the lengthy post!

-Joe
Administrator
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:24 pm
Congrats on your new Winchester SXP Extreme Defender and thank you for taking the time out to write a thorough review. Be sure to check back in and give us a long term update. As an aside I really love the recoil reduction the ATI stocks provide as it appears you have discovered.

Vendor
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:03 pm
Joe Piper wrote:If I had one gripe about the factory setup of this weapon it would be the factory ATI furniture which is not adjustable. An adapter can be purchased from ATI to make it adjustable, which seems like a way for Win. to sell cool looking shotguns and ATI to make some money on the back end for the adapter kit that honestly should have been factory installed and sold as a package at a slightly higher MSRP, but not full price for a plunger pin, spring, and lever. That being said, I have never shot a 12 gauge shotgun that handles recoil the way this one does and a great percentage of that can be attributed to the ATI recoil pad

Hey Joe, thanks for your detailed post and your purchase of an SXP with an ATI Stock - We're glad we could help you cut down that recoil!

Due to import restrictions with Winchester shotguns being produced outside of the U.S. those SXP's cannot come into the country with an adjustable stock equipped. We know this can look deceiving, but the box does state that the stock is a fixed-position. We have created a retro-kit on our website for those who purchase these shotguns to make them fully functioning and adjustable.

Here's the kit for anyone else looking: http://www.atigunstocks.com/stocks/731- ... k-kit.html

Regards, that ATI Team

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:47 pm
Dear ATIgunstocksUSA, I did research and fully knew the stock was fixed before I made the purchase. I also knew there was a $45 fix prior to my purchase. That doesn't change that fact that it's an incomplete stock. I mean incomplete in the right that you can purchase the exact stock with the pieces that make it functional from ATI directly. Hence my statement that it seems a good way for ATI to make some cash on the back end. As your forum name implies I would assume that ATI is an American company and while the guns may or may not be able to be shipped with adjustable stocks the fact remains you're charging $45 to make it complete for buyers in the USA. I didn't write this review to have this discussion publicly. Thank you, however for the link so those who would like to complete their SXP Extreme Defenders. Feel free to contact me via private message.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:48 am
I am currently thinking about buying this gun, the sxp ed, I have a question,does the stock come off but leave the triton mount receiver on the gun? or is it all one piece? I can't seem to find that info anywhere, because id like to get the ATI pistol grip only, but wonder if I have to buy the receiver, from pics it looks as if its two pieces, any info may help, thank you!

Vendor
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:19 pm
williamkurtblanton wrote:I am currently thinking about buying this gun, the sxp ed, I have a question,does the stock come off but leave the triton mount receiver on the gun? or is it all one piece? I can't seem to find that info anywhere, because id like to get the ATI pistol grip only, but wonder if I have to buy the receiver, from pics it looks as if its two pieces, any info may help, thank you!

Hey William, the firearm will have our Triton Mount equipped that is correct.

You could simply buy our Talon T2 Rear Pistol Grip and it would attach right to the Triton mount- 5 minute swap.

http://www.atigunstocks.com/stocks/714- ... grip-.html

Let us know if you have any more questions!

.22LR
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:06 pm
ATIgunstocksUSA wrote:
williamkurtblanton wrote:I am currently thinking about buying this gun, the sxp ed, I have a question,does the stock come off but leave the triton mount receiver on the gun? or is it all one piece? I can't seem to find that info anywhere, because id like to get the ATI pistol grip only, but wonder if I have to buy the receiver, from pics it looks as if its two pieces, any info may help, thank you!

Hey William, the firearm will have our Triton Mount equipped that is correct.

You could simply buy our Talon T2 Rear Pistol Grip and it would attach right to the Triton mount- 5 minute swap.

http://www.atigunstocks.com/stocks/714- ... grip-.html

Let us know if you have any more questions!

Just installed a Talon T2 kit on my SXP and it looks and feels great. Shot it a couple of weeks ago and it performed exceedingly well! I would recommend this kit to anyone who owns a SXP.
Gunslinger 1
LTC (Ret)
Infantry

I'm a man.....I can change.....if I want to.....I guess....
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:18 pm
Nice writeup Joe...

...And a belated Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum !!

Return to Winchester SXP