SXP Problems

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:26 pm
Can someone please tell me what is going on with my shotgun?

Take a look

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUStnar ... e=youtu.be

Thanks,

Frank
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:32 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum Frank !!

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:06 pm
Obviously something wrong with trigger group. Pull trigger group out and see if there is anything obvious obstructing the operation. It may be something obvious and simple. The trigger group is a plug and play item. I wouldn't even attempt to disassemble it and fix it. Contact winchester and see if they can replace the group.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:02 pm
I would contact Winchester they will probably have you send it in.I don't know how their customer service is but it could be free shipping and repair.
"Im just a Peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns"

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:03 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum Frank !!
"Im just a Peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns"

.22LR
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:55 am
Based on the pretty limited info I can gather from the video my wild-ass guess is that your sear is worn down and doesn't catch the hammer reliably when it's cocked. Especially when you slam the action closed with so much force like you do. The hammer might be slipping off the sear right when the bolt closes.

Reason I say this is it definitely sound like the hammer snapping home right when you close the bolt. Unless it's just the sound in the video throwing me off.
Also the fact that your safety does not engage. You rack the action, close the bolt, hammer slips off the sear and "fires" and so your safety won't engage because the design of the weapon does not allow the safety to engage when the hammer is not cocked.

To test this, take apart a live shell, remove the powder and pellet load and leave just the primer. And try to rack a few of those rounds through. If you hear the primer pop right when the bolt closes, then that's obviously the hammer slipping and firing.
Of course do not try to cycle full loads through the gun until you get the issue fixed since you really don't want an out of battery detonation with a full charge. The primer alone is safe enough to try this with.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:51 pm
Not a bad idea...

Let us know how that works Frank !

.22LR
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:08 pm
I have a safer way for this kind of test.

Take a spent shell or preferably a snap cap shell.

Place a circular sticker dot over the spent primer.

Perform the test monitoring the sticker looking for firing pin penetration.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:08 pm
Post was made in Nov 2104...member hasn't replied since.

Return to Winchester SXP