Winchester SXP Reviews

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:26 pm
on the phone forever....never got a human
.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:45 am
KON wrote:on the phone forever....never got a human

When did you call? Keep trying hopefully now that the Holidays are over you’ll be able to reach someone.
Good Luck
Frank

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:33 am
usmc1963 wrote:
KON wrote:on the phone forever....never got a human

When did you call? Keep trying hopefully now that the Holidays are over you’ll be able to reach someone.
Good Luck

Thats what im thinking
"Im just a Peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns"
.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:17 am
Gunner_D, you can never have too many guns.
Frank

.22LR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:05 pm
My SXP Defender arrived yesterday and I just wanted to compair it with my only other modern shotgun, a Remington 870 Marine Magnum.

For the money, the SXP Defender is just amazing. Almost as smooth as the Marine Magnum which sells for $350 more. The butt stock fits me better than the Remington. The drop at comb is just right. Fit and finish is fantastic. The only complaint in that department is that the edges of the slide rails are a little sharp.

The design is very thought out. I really like the synthetic stock set, chrome bore, sling swivel studs, trigger, and safety. I'll have to get use to the manual bolt release, the 870 is better in that department. The dull black finish is as tough as nails. I put a Truglo snap on front sight on it and it didn't mar the finish at all. I probably removed that sight 4 times to get it just right.

The only other minor complaint other than the sharp edges of the slide rails, is the clearance between the shell lifter and rotary bolt is tight when you load a shell. I think the 2 parts may actually touch and i can feel friction there. I'm sure cycling the action a few hundred time will loosen that up.

What a nice shotgun. Thanks Winchester.

.22LR
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:11 pm
I got to shoot my SXP Defender before my cowboy match this morning. I used the same ammo as I use in the match, which is Remington GL128's. OMG, what a nice shotgun. I just love it. It points great. Knock down targets didn't have a chance. The TruGlo sight stayed on, it didnt budge, and was very bright even at 7:30 am in January.

After the first 2 rounds I had gotten use to the "automatic" ejection. Just way to cool and FAST. I'm a happy camper.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:49 pm
Where did you get the tru-glo sights for it? I'm thinking of upgrading the bead sights on a camp/field combo.

.22LR
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:05 pm
skinner-t wrote:Where did you get the tru-glo sights for it? I'm thinking of upgrading the bead sights on a camp/field combo.

Amazon.com. It was a bear to put on the first time and would snap on to far behind the front sight bead. I then learned to go at it at an angle. Then I decided to put a little BreakFree under it for rust prevention.

http://www.amazon.com/Truglo-Defense-Fi ... lo+shotgun

The installation looks so good it's almost factory. Oh Wait, it' now standard on on the Marine Defender from the factory

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/ ... mid=512268
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:01 pm
Cool ....thanks for the info, I will check it it out. :)

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:27 pm
I bought the waterfowl edition last year. It so far has only shot clays. I have only taken it out for birds once but wasn't a good day weather wise. On the range it has performed great. I probably have about 300 rounds so far and I have to say I like the gun. I am a small fellow with short arms and it fits me well, better than my old 870. I have had a bit of a problem though and one I hope never happens in the field. On both occasions I have had it at the range it has jammed shut after firing a round. I will fire the round and it will not cycle back. First time I just worked it a bit and it went. The second time at the range when it happened there was no cycling it. So I took it back and popped out the trigger assembly. I broke it right down so there was nothing left but the bolt still stuck in the chamber. What happens is the lugs turn a bit behind the grooves in the chamber and they don't line up for the bolt to come back out. From there I was able to twist the bolt a bit and out it came with the spent shell. I know how to get it out now and this has happened twice, though I have only had to take it apart once because of the issue. I really do like the gun and hope this rarely happens and never in the field. Out of the three of us that did the shoot this last go I did the best and out of all the guns I shot it worked best for me. I even used all three chokes and performed really well with all.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:51 pm
I just picked one up Saturday.I never own a pump before.Shot two rounds of trap tp break it in.It was really a lot of fun.I cant believe the smoothness of the action.I just move the forearm back a very little and the shell come out.I really like this shotgun.The wood looks nice also.
Winchester SXP Field
Winchester 1300 Ranger Gloss.
Winchester 50

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:16 pm
If the Winchester SXP is only half the shotgun my old Model 12 is you can all bet it will do the job. One thing bothers me about all the new firearms, no matter what they are. We used to have people in the U.S. who were good machinists and smart enough to make good firearms. Now it seems that virtually everything is imported. Even with a 32 inch barrel the balance of my old Winchester Model 12 is nearly perfect. My dad bought two in 1927 when I was 2 years old and gave me one with when I was twelve. It's taken many ducks and geese with no problem. As I mentioned before, if the SXP is even close it's a good shotgun.
20g
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:59 pm
Hello rrcmay, welcome to the forum. Have read many stellar reviews about the SXP. My door buster is a 1941 Winchester 97 12 gauge 20". Works fine for me. Also have a 1924 standard.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

Return to Winchester SXP