Winder Musket

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 3:17 am
I purchased an 1885 Winder musket a few years ago (U.S. marked flaming bomb) in .22 short. Serial # is in the 124,000 range. This particle rifle has a single set trigger in working order. Can anyone tell me about the trigger? Did the military use them? I was wondering if I should letter this rifle or if the set trigger was likely added later. There is also a target/globe type front sight with dovetail. The finish on the rifle ranges from brown on the receiver to blue on the barrel and lower tang. The trigger and front sight finishes seem appropriate for the rest of the rifle. I'm looking for someone with more Winder knowledge than I have. I checked my only resources (Madis and Flayderman) but came up empty. Can't find much on the internet. I was wondering if the military used special rifles for shooting competition? Any help is appreciated.
Steve

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 3:43 am
I just checked the Cody Firearms Museum website--serial number data not available for this rifle. I'm looking for anyone with first hand knowledge or reference material.
Thanks, Steve
20g
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 4:18 am
Try this link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winder_musket

No mention toward set trigger.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 12:58 pm
Thanks Redryder. I did read through that last night but not much info. Most of my reference books spend time on the 1885 with just a side note or two on the winder musket.
20g
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 6:15 pm
I suspected you might have as you advised searching. However, I sent the link anyway.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

Return to Winchester Model 1885