Recommended Ammo - Model 1892 .357

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:52 pm
Just ordered a new Model 1892 Carbine in .357 (534177137).

What kind of ammo can anyone recommend? FMJ? JHP? Any particular brand or size of bullet?

How about .38 special rounds? Can those be shot without any bad side effects on the rifle?

Thanks!

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:57 am
Bueller? Bueller?

LOL. Wow, this place is dead!

I'll have the 1892 in my hands NLT Thursday. I'll take it to the range as soon as I can and offer some opinions.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:31 am
I have heard that .38 Special rounds can be a problem in Winchesters as they are a bit shorter than the .357 and can break the shell lifter in certain situations.
If its a .357 I would stick to them as here in the UK new shell lifters are as scarce as rocking horse poo! But I am not sure if that's the case in the USA.

.22LR
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:06 am
Unfortunately I can't give you any advice as yet. Only fired 50 reloaded light load rounds through my 94.
Getting some factory ammo Friday, but can't seem to find time at the weekend to get to the range.
Interested in how you get along Luckybaer.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:35 pm
Per the Winchester site, I found nothing about shooting .38 Special through the Model 1892. Winchester does, however, state that the new Model 1873 can shoot .357 Mag (10 round capacity) or .38 Special (11 round capacity).

I planned on shooting .357 Magnum, anyway. I am interested in finding out more about flat tip vs. pointed; hollow point vs. fmj, etc.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:21 pm
I was always told not to use pointed tip bullets in a rifle with a tubular magazine, if you knock or drop it it could set a round off.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:50 pm
TheSquire wrote:I was always told not to use pointed tip bullets in a rifle with a tubular magazine, if you knock or drop it it could set a round off.

Everything I have is flat or hollow - nothing like 5.56mm XM-193 rounds, so I've got that going for me. Lol

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:08 pm
I shot the rifle yesterday - only 50 rounds of 158 grain FMJ .357 Herter's Select - and I was very, very pleased.

No problems whatsoever to report. Very little recoil from what I could tell. Very easy to get on the target, but I do have to admit that I'd like the little gold bead on the front sight to be a little more visible (I'm going to look for an upgrade here).

Clean-up wasn't too bad. I must have used a dozen Q-Tips and a dozen patches to clean up. A little oil on the key parts and a little Renaissance Wax on the wood after I was done cleaning the barrel, chamber, bolt, etc., and I was done.

I dreamed about owning one of these when I was a little kid running around with (at first) a plastic clicker lever action toy gun and eventually with my Daisy Red Ryder BB Gun. It isn't often one gets to have a "dream come true," but I can honestly say that owning, firing, and maintaining this rifle is a dream come true.

The attendant at the shooting range made it a point to come over to my lane to take a closer look at the rifle. He thought it was beautiful, and was happy to see Winchester putting out a quality lever action. He had thought lever actions like the 1892 were only made by Marlin and Rossi.

Hey, no knock against Marlin or Rossi, because I am sure they make good rifles, but a Winchester, to me, represents a time in my life when things were less stressful and more fun. Childhood. Again, no knock on Marlin or Rossi, but I didn't pretend my toys were Marlins or Rossis. I pretended they were Winchesters.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:54 am
luckybaer wrote:I dreamed about owning one of these when I was a little kid running around with (at first) a plastic clicker lever action toy gun and eventually with my Daisy Red Ryder BB Gun. It isn't often one gets to have a "dream come true," but I can honestly say that owning, firing, and maintaining this rifle is a dream come true......

........ but a Winchester, to me, represents a time in my life when things were less stressful and more fun. Childhood. Again, no knock on Marlin or Rossi, but I didn't pretend my toys were Marlins or Rossis. I pretended they were Winchesters.

I know what you mean matey! I love my '94 in .45 for much of the same reasons. Shooting it ALWAYS makes me smile and makes me feel like a kid again, playing in the street with my mates.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:54 pm
luckybaer wrote:Just ordered a new Model 1892 Carbine in .357 (534177137).
What kind of ammo can anyone recommend? FMJ? JHP? Any particular brand or size of bullet?
How about .38 special rounds? Can those be shot without any bad side effects on the rifle?
Thanks!

Just a word of CAUTION to new Winchester lever action owners (except for Model 1895). Regardless of caliber NEVER, EVER shoot cartridges with FMJ or lead "pointed" bullets, FMJ or lead "round nose" bullets, or even the FMJ or lead semi-wadcutter bullets through your tubular magazine fed Winchester lever action rifles. After loading cartridges in your tubular magazine they're positioned such that the bullet point of each cartridge sits directly against the primer of the cartridge in front of it. The DANGER with pointed bullets is that under recoil these bullet points act as a firing pin and can cause one or more of the cartridges in the tubular magazine to inadvertently discharge. With a full magazine this would result in a chain reaction which will not only destroy the rifle but could result in the loss of your life and those around you. REMEMBER, round nose & SWC bullets are just as dangerous as pointed bullets. In addition to recoil causing the accidental discharge, dropping the rifle can also cause tubular discharges, as can the simple action of dropping a second, third, or fourth, etc. cartridge down the tube and its primer contacting the pointed or round bullet with the slightest pressure.

Round Nose Flat Point bullets are standard fare for these rifles. If you decide to handload these cartridges, you need to make sure NOT to have any high primers, regardless of bullet type you use. Hollow point bullets, depending on their design might be safely used, however, you must make sure that no part of the front edge of this bullet design has any possibility of contacting the primer of the cartridge in front of it in the tubular magazine.

Truncated cone bullets have shown greater accuracy than RNFP bullets when being shot through Single Action Army revolvers. However, if you plan to test these truncated cone bullets with your Winchester lever rifle you must make sure that the diameter of their flat point is much larger than the diameter of your primers.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:01 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum !!

Have you thought about trying this from Hornady...?

http://www.hornady.com/store/357-Mag-14 ... evolution/

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:06 pm
The 1892 action is strong enough to handle any ammunition you can shoot through a Ruger revolver, and more than a S&W can handle on a routine basis. I don't have a .357 yet, but I do have 1892s in .44 Magnum and .45 Colt.

I reload using round-nose, flat-point bullets for smooth loading and feeding, without any danger of self-ignition in the magazine tube. Hard cast bullets from LaserCast (Oregon Trails) do not exhibit any leading at velocities up to 1800 fps (.44 M). I'm reluctant to load hot 45 Colt for fear one might find its way into my New Vaquero, but the '92 action would be up to the job.

I have used Keith type semi-wadcutters successfully, but it takes an extra jiggle of the lever at times (too much to tolerate) to get them to feed into the chamber. Truncated cone bullets without a stepped rifling band should work well too.

Return to Winchester Model 1892