Restoration Help

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:35 am
Good morning, I'm new to this forum and could use some help. I own several Winchester lever action rifles/carbines. My challenge is my Great Grandfathers model 1892, 32wcf rifle. He purchased it new in 1892. It has been used extensively, by him, my granddad, my Dad and is now mine to use. It has some rust, outside, on the receiver, in the receiver and in the barrel. I have been able to clean everything satisfactorily except the inside of the barrel. Is there a product, procedure, combination....that will allow me to clean the inside of the barrel so that it is free of surface rust? Also, having read several posts on this forum, I realize this post is useless with out pictures but....I'm much better with shooting/working on old guns than I am photographing, posting/pasting pictures on websites. Please excuse me until I get the latter figured out :oops: . Thank you in advance, Chad

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:44 pm
Hi Chad,
I too am new to the forum. Welcome.
If the rust inside the barrel is only surface rust as you say, you should be able to remove it with "gun solvent". "Hoppy' s" makes it and so does "Outers".....probably others. You can get it at any sporting goods shop or Wal-Mart. Get a ram rod and a 32 cal wire brush and apply the solvent liberally. Follow that with a clean dry patch. If you get the rust out to your satisfaction, run an oily patch through it. You should be good to go.
Wayne
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:41 pm
Don't think Chad has been back since 09 August 2013... ;)

But... thanks for helping Wayne...

Return to Winchester Model 1892