92 SRC barrel markings

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:48 am
I have a really nice model 92 SRC in 44/40 cal with serial number starting with 858 (made in 1916.) Everything is right on this carbine and the barrel and magazine have about 90 percent or more of the bluing left. The receiver is flaked off with only about 20 percent left. It has nice walnut stocks with no splits. The only thing that worries me is that the barrel markings although correct for the period, are very light and look almost like they have been buffed. I would suspect a reblued barrel except the VP mark is very sharp and has definitely been struck after the bluing. Maddus says that the depth of markings vary so much that it is nothing to worry about but I can't help wondering. Also the 44WCF marking is not very well centered with the top being a lot deeper than the bottom. Maybe the workers didn't set the roll die correctly? I don't know how to send pictures but maybe someone can tell me something that I don't know. I've had the carbine for over 30 years now and just lately started to wonder about it.

Thanks,
Dick Baker
20g
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:37 am
Welcome to the site Dick. Early gun makers were a strange lot and made unusual adjustments just prior to and during war years. Somebody will probably come on with some info. 44/40 and 45LC are my favorite calibers.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:35 am
Thanks Red Ryder. Those are my favorite calibers too. I load them both but of course the ,45 Colt is much easier. I'm also a former USMC type. Early Vietnam era.

Dick

Vendor
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:08 am
If you are referring to the WP which is the proof mark on the bbl., fake proof mark stamps are all over the place out there. We would need to see pics of the bbl. to know more. In regard to the cal. marking being faint on one side, that is more common on original bbls. than you might think. Again, pics will tell the story.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:06 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum WD !!
20g
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:02 pm
Hi ya Pauline........good to see you're still with us.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:16 pm
Oops. I read the serial number wrong. It's 898506, which puts it in the "made in 1919 range." I wish I knew how to post pictures but I don't, and the grand kids aren't around to show me how. The more I look the more satisfied I am that all is right with this little carbine. It's one of the tightest and most solid ones I've ever owned and really shoots well so I'm going to keep it and just enjoy it while I can. Thanks to everone who replied to me. I realy enjoy this forum.

Dick
20g
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:07 pm
After you click the POSTREPLY tab, At the bottom of this posting white space are 2 tabs Options & Upload attachments. Have your photos in a folder on the C drive. I use My Pictures folder. Open the Upload attachments tab. Click Browse and go to where the photos are stored. Load the photos, 1 at a time with the Add the file option. I believe there are size limits. You can use the Preview option to see if the photos uploaded.

Hope this helps.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:45 am
Thanks Red Ryder...I'll give that a try as soon as I can.
Dick

Vendor
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:42 am
I'm still here Redryder. Just not too many topics yet for me to post on. I don't plan on going anywhere.

Return to Winchester Model 1892