1892- Regular Shooter

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:28 pm
I'm redoing this post, as I mistakenly put it in the 1886 forum.
I wanted to tell you about one of my most commonly used rifles, which is an 1892 in 38WCF (38-40)
It is a 24" barrel, octagon and somewhere in it's lifetime, it had the magazine tube shortened to about 2/3 length.
The wood is good, the metal - well for being 120 years old, still holding some finish. Having a serial number of 4xxx, I'm betting it is a first year production. The barrel seems good and accuracy is definately minute of crow out to about 70 yards. Beyond that, I will need someone with better eyes.
Probably one of the slickest actions I have ever owned, it makes me proud to be it's current owner.
Larry
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:33 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum !!

.22LR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:51 pm
It might not be a shortened mag, most of the 92s that came to Australia have half mags and yours might be one like this.

Three out of the four 92s I currently own have half mags and the previous two that I owned also had half mags. I much prefer the full mag versions, but you take what you can get.

I have never come across a 38WCF, which is a very handy cartridge I hear. Most of the 92s sold here in the past seem to be overwhelmingly 32WCF, followed by 44WCF and the odd 25/20. I don't know the exact figures and base this observation on what I have seen on the gunshop shelves over the years.
"I'll helpyou down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

Towns tamed, widders consoled, deep thoughts thunk, sipping whisky graded.

Return to Winchester Model 1892