Winchester 94 Action Question

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:27 pm
I have just started looking at Winchester 94's. I found two tonight, one is a 1967 and one a 1970. The 1967 appeared to me to be well used. The lever action wobbled side to side a little and appeared to be slightly sloppy. It seemed to have two places of free play while working action forward. The 1970 appeared to have not been used much at all. The lever action wobbled side to side slightly but also had a two places of less free play in comparison to the 1967. Also on the 1970, the lever itself at the first internal connection, still had most of the paint on the first swivel of the lever at the swivel joint.

My question is . . . Do the pre-64 models have a smoother and tighter action than the post-64 models?

Any comments would be appreciated as I am just starting to look for Model 94 30-30.

It also appeared that the 1967 and the 1970 Model 94's that I looked at today had two different looking types of shell carrier pieces (the piece that receives the shell from tube and lifts it to the barrel for insertion). The 1967 looked like bent tin and the 1970 looked like machine steel. Any opinions about this topic? If there are two different types, what gun used them?

Thank you,
stano
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:22 am
I'm not bashing the newer models, they are still good rifles, and are much better than some of the other brands available today. You can't go wrong with a pre-64' model for many reasons. Most of the post 64 models have similar issues to those you described. They are functional guns, but just dont have the same solid feel as the earlier ones. The older guns are normally have actions that are tighter feeling and smoother to operate, the hammer spring is a leaf type that is much nicer feeling than the coil type from the later models. Pre 64' models will always have better resale values in general than the newer guns. The bluing on some of the newer models is also as you described....almost "like paint" these are very hard to reblue or touch up when the factory finish needs work. There has been a mix of stamped parts, different springs etc in the post 64 models that were done to save production costs. There are a few years (I think around the early to mid 70's) where the guns were actually pinned together with roll pins where there was soild machined pins with retaining screws in the receiver....(Not a very desireable rifle IMO). You will never regret paying a bit more to get a pre-64' ...

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:26 pm
There is actually 3 types of lifters in the 94s. Pre 64 used a solid machined steel unit. 64ish to 1970 (iirc) used a stamped steel unit. 1970 to the late 1980s used a solid cast unit. In the late 1980s Winchester switched back to the machined solid steel lifter. The recievers on the post 64 models are the only parts that cannot be re-blued.

I own 3 post 64 30-30s (1966, 1971, 1974) and love them! I also own a 1940s 94 in .32 win spl. The pre 64 seems a little more smooth but I love them all the same. If you are looking for a 94, I would look for a post 64. Unless you over pay for it, you will never lose money. Also these are easier to take apart and put together than a pre 64. Once you buy one, you will likely want another! I buy them whenever I find a deal!
Last edited by Johnny Guns on Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:27 pm
Also I dont believe there was ever a "pinned" together winchester 94
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:13 pm
Johnny Guns wrote:There is actually 3 types of lifters in the 94s. Pre 64 used a solid machined steel unit. 64ish to 1970 (iirc) used a stamped steel unit. 1970 to the late 1980s used a solid cast unit. In the late 1980s Winchester switched back to the machined solid steel lifter. The recievers on the post 64 models are the only parts that cannot be re-blued.

I own 3 post 64 30-30s (1966, 1971, 1974) and love them! I also own a 1940s 94 in .32 win spl. The pre 64 seems a little more smooth but I love them all the same. If you are looking for a 94, I would look for a post 64. Unless you over pay for it, you will never lose money. Also these are easier to take apart and put together than a pre 64. Once you buy one, you will likely want another! I buy them whenever I find a deal!

I also own model a number of 1894 and 94 model rifles, pre and post 64 models, but I cant say I like the fit and finish of post 64's nearly as much as the older rifles. Why do you believe that the post 64 rifles are a better value and what would make you suggest buying one rather than a pre 64 ?? After 64 Winchester stopped machining some of the small parts for the Model 94 to save money, they began using stamped sheet metal as you mentioned, and some other cheaper parts. Winchester's "quality" in the manufacturing process was sacrificed to cut costs. Before this time, these parts were made from machining solid steel. The "pinned receiver" comment I made in the earlier post is with reference to these changes where hollow roll pins were used in the action instead of the older style solid steel pins, (some of the solid pins were retained by screws where the roll pins were not). Some years later some of these cost cutting ideas were changed back to the older design in an attempt to improve quality. There are a few post 64 years where rifles were very "clunky" feeling, and noisy to carry because of the loosely fitted parts. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and individual tastes differ in rifles etc. , however.. I'm just wondering why you would say to buy the newer style rifle over the "original classic" pre 64 that is known to have a smoother action and better quality in manufacturing?

This was the original question.............

"My question is . . . Do the pre-64 models have a smoother and tighter action than the post-64 models? "
The answer to the original question is Yes, the pre 64 action is smoother.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:51 pm
thank you guys for your info... I am using what I learn to purchase a rifle or should i say carbine.... And also justify the money spent... stano
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:23 pm
Hope you find a good one. Let us know what you end up with.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:32 pm
Well you are correct. A pre 64 is a nicer gun. However if your just getting started in the winchester world, I think the post 64s can be had for pretty good deals. Once you have one youll want more. I just dont like how people (not saying anyone here) turn there nose up at them. Just my opinion.

Return to Winchester Model 1894