Winchester 1894 32-40

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:58 pm
I have a modle 1894 in a 32-40 that belonged to my grandfather. It is a fine gun that is tight and all in good working order. It has a six digit serial number that begins with 88.The rifle is in very good condition. The wood is all original and is excellent. The barrel is octogonal and the bluing is about 80%. The receiver is about 10% for bluing. I recently contacted the Cody Museum to get a certification letter on the rifle. Because of a glitch in the mail, I have not yet received the letter, but I have been informed by the staff at the Museum that the original length of the barrel was 26". Unfortunately, somewhere along the line, the barrel on this rifle was shortened. It now measures 20". I am going to sell it or trade it. I thought that I'd put it out here in case someone would be interested in adding it to their collection. At the very least, I would be interested in your thoughts of what the value of the rifle is. I have photos if anyone is interested.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:51 pm
If the barrel has been cut down, for a serious collector, value is all but gone. Its probably still worth a good amount of money, but still less than half of the "original condition" value. I would suggest paying a qualified winchester appraiser to have a look at it to get a fair current value, the cody letter will be a plus in determining value.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:41 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum !!

Return to Winchester Model 1894