1972 94 for fun and home defense

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:15 pm
Well, I am a little older and considered selling my old 94 but instead of buying one of those ugly black guns, AR 15 etc, why not use the old faithful 94?

I believe that with the right ammo and sights, it would be better than those ugly, plastic black ones.

Looking for thoughts experience and advice.

Thanks,

Pete

.22LR
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:38 am
I can't see why not. The 30-30 is one of the original all-purpose guns. Poncho Villa used the M94 as a military weapon. Reliable, easy to use, multiple shots, powerful, etc..... To be honest, as long as you went with a light enough bullet as to not over penetrate your victim, the M94 in 30-30 is about perfect for home defense and makes a great tactical weapon. Light varmit rounds would be devastating defensive rounds. Don't forget the power of "ka, chook". The pump shotgun has been using that intimidating sound for years and the M94 sings the same tune. :mrgreen: FYI...Federal Powershok 125 grain would be what I would use.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:49 am
I really don't want to start any heated arguments or begin a long debate, but I cant help posting my opinion on this topic. You really should reconsider using a high powered rifle as a home defence gun if you have the choice. Even with lighter loads, its much more dargerous to anyone outside your home than a shotgun loaded with the appropriate home defence ammunition designed for this purpose. With the amount of tactical gear available for shotguns itoday, it somehow makes more sense to me to go this way, and either sell or keep the 94 for what it was intended. Any missed shots even with a light load .30-30 could be lethal to non targets outside your walls. Just my 2 cents...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:09 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum !!

I own a 1894...but only use it to take whitetail deer here in Pennsylvania...

Any gun is better than no gun when it comes to home defense !!

Return to Winchester Model 1894