1897 Winchester 94 ...

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:53 pm
Hi gents,

This is my first post, and I'm relatively new to the gun world. I started actively shooting only 6 months ago and have made very few purchases of firearms. The one I absolutely had to purchase was the following Winchester Model 1894. I live in north western New Mexico (a border town to the Navajo, Hopi, and Zuni reservations), and have a good friend who's lived here for 50+ years. When I started to get into shooting he was very helpful, and when I mentioned Winchester 94s he asked me to stop over his shop. He had three; the one I purchased (shown below), a very nice 1940s example, and a post '64 model. When asked if he'd be interested in selling the early example he told me to do some research and then come on back. I spent several hours on the internet over the weekend and decided it was a "must have". Returning he was happy to hear of all the info I uncovered and then let me set the price.

The serial number (and a call to Winchester to confirm) dates this firearm to the year 1897. It's a carbine, with octagon barrel (apparently a $1.50 option at the time), nickle steel barrel, and chambered for the newly released 30 WCF cartridge. I sure wish this old gun could talk, as it looks to have led an interesting life. I hope to give it a good cleaning (absolutely no restoration until I really know what I have - perhaps never doing anything more than the cleaning) and just enjoy owning a small piece of local history.

If I'm measuring the barrel correctly, it's a 16 inch carbine:

The rear leaf sight is pinned, enabling it to be laid flat:

The hammer is checkered, but unlike the later models (or those I've seen at least) the checkering is heart-shaped of sorts.

The steel butt plate is crescent shaped and screwed to the top of the stock:

The rifling looks good as well:

Last, but not least, is the serial number from which the dating was achieved:

I hope to be able to track down a bit more info and would be happy to share it here, should it be of interest.

Thanks and kind regards, BillS.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:02 am
Any model 94 winchester with a barrel of 16", (in my opinion) deserves a factory letter to prove its' originality. If this barrel length and stock configuration is correct for your gun, and it hasn't been shortened or altered its considered to be very rare. You can easily find out what features your rifle left the factory with by contacting the buffalo bill museum in Cody Wyoming. They have detailed factory records available that will be used to put together a "factory letter." This is a great asset to have with any antique winchester. http://www.bbhc.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/

Return to Winchester Model 1894