"natural aging" of model 94

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:13 am
Hi everyone, new member from FL, huge Winchester fan, was fortunate enough to get a model 70 as my first gun way back when and am currently in the market for a model 94.

I was wondering if anyone can provide some insight on major things to look for when examining these rifles. I've never purchased a rifle more than approx 10-15 years old and I am pretty unfamiliar with what would be considered normal aging and wear. Right now I'm looking for a pre-64, but again, I admittedly can't say what kind of shape a 50 + year-old gun should be in. A rifle has been offered to me for $650, and at a cursory glance (with my admittedly naive eyes) it appears to be worth the price, but I'm unsure, particularly about the bore condition, any advice would be greatly appreciated

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:03 am
Here's two 1894's made in 1898.

They show different wear patterns, the special order sporting rifle was used occasionally and well taken care of by it's owner. The saddle carbine was a working gun, a tool and shows considerably more wear, both to the outside surfaces and bore.

It all depends on the life they led.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:37 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum !!

Pre-1964 Top Eject models usually command a premium price...and that price is ballpark in todays market.

Return to Winchester Model 1894