new forum member with question

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:27 pm
Greetings from Colorado,

This evening I discovered this forum and immediately joined. I currently only own two Winchesters: a model 1894 and an M1 carbine that was manufactured in 1942ish. Hopefully, I'll be able to remedy that shortcoming on my part, but for now, that's all I've got.

My model 1894 is serial # 1297060. From what I understand, Winchester wasn't keeping track of serial #'s during WWII. The one I own supposedly falls within the 1943 to 1948 range. There are different historical firearm websites with different serial number databases, and it's difficult to know which is correct. There has also been speculation whether or not Winchester was even making lever action guns during WWII. Some folks have speculated that the ones with serial numbers during that period were possibly made from parts that were made before the outset of WWII.

Once I figure out how, I'll post some photos. For now, does anyone have any insight into when my 1894 might have been made, or is it just one of those mysteries that nobody will ever solve and I'll have to be happy with saying it was made between 1943 and '48? I don't know enough to say whether the sights, barrel band, etc. are pre-war or postwar.

Thanks in advance,

Paul Moore
Colorado Springs CO
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:49 am
The best information available would be through the Buffalo Bill Center in Cody Wyoming. They have all of the Winchester factory records that are available and could possibly tell you when it was shipped from the factory and with what features. Some serial number data is missing but it might be worth a try. A factory letter on Winchester letterhead will cost you around $70. Here's a link to the website: http://centerofthewest.org/explore/fire ... s-records/

Vendor
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:30 am
Your gun was made in 1941. Winchester basically stopped production of most arms and focused on ammunition production during the war time period. They did not put together "parts guns" during this time. Cody will not have any records on a gun produced this late.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:37 pm
Its great to have you with us Pauline, You are one of our most valuable resources of information. You are absolutely right on this one .. I should have checked Cody's available serial number information database before posting this morning... there are no records in this range, so no factory letter....
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:59 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum Paul !!

Return to Winchester Model 1894