Possible Reblue of a Model 94

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:11 pm
I am a licensed dealer and recently took shipment of a Model 94 a friend had bought on Gunbroker. It was advertised as being a 1948 model and "In a Strong 95+ condition." When I unpacked the rifle, the first thing I noticed was a sort of dished out area or "groove" at the rear of the loading gate which was about as wide or a little wider than the loading gate itself and maybe an inch long. My experience kicked in and said, "This gun's been reblued." I am 65 and am a gunsmith. I have been doing gunsmith work on the side for around 40 years. I retired from the telephone company (AT&T) in 2010 and now enjoy doing gunwork to supplement my Social Security and to make a little "minnow money" as a friend of mine calls it. Anyway, after seeing the groove, which can also be felt, I examined the gun with a 2 1/2X Optivisor. With the aid of the visor, I could see many, many scratches going in all directions that appeared to have been blued over. Several other things were found such as damaged screw heads, small pits on the receiver sides, some mottling of the bluing, etc. that, to me, confirmed that the rifle had been reblued. I was wondering if anyone has ever seen a 94 of that era that had such a "groove" as this one does at the rear of the loading gate. I never have and just don't believe they would have ever let one leave the factory like that. I think it was caused by it being buffed before being reblued. Has anyone ever seen such a "groove" or have any opinion on why it might be that way other than having been reblued? If you want to see it, the auction number on Gunbroker is "392917155", but the pictures aren't that good and the "groove" doesn't really show up. I would welcome anyone else's opinions or input. The seller is refusing to issue a refund. He also has admitted in an email to replacing two screws that were buggered and the rifle is a 1949, not a 1948. I would think that advertising it to be a 1948 model when it is actually a 1949 model should be grounds enough for the buyer to get a refund.
Thanks, Gerald Johnston

Vendor
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:35 pm
I checked out the pics. They aren't the best but probably for good reason. The way the light reflects on the receiver it looks like the area around some of the screws is dished out. This is and the other things you describe is a definite sign of a bad polish job. In my opinion the gun was definitely rebued.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:10 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum Gerald !!

Return to Winchester Model 1894