New member has ? about a 38-55

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:22 pm
I'm looking for some loading information on the 38-55. I have a model 94, it's safe to shoot. I'll be hand loading but do I need to mic the bore to choose a bullet diameter? What powder is my best choice? The rifle will mostly be put to use on 100 to 180 lb whitetails.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:55 am
Depending on how old your '94 is; the bore can range from .377 to as wide as .382. You can buy cast bullets to size once you determine your requirements. A well loobed fishing sinker will make a good slug and can be pushed thru the bore relatively easily. I find that Accurate 5744, Alliant Re-7, and IMR 4759 work well. The problem with 4759 is it is being discontinued. If you decide to go with a BP substitute I like American Pioneer. I use it in several BP cartridges, even if the guns are modern designs. It is the cartridges that count. 38-55, 45-70, 43 Spanish; all like American Pioneer.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:14 pm
Thanks for the information,

I was thinking of casting my own once I find out what my bore is. Do you think jacketed bullets cause more wear on a barrel as opposed to pure lead?

You say the BP substitutes give good accuracy? How much does the velocity drop off? BP would be cool to use! My rifle isn't an antique but it would still be cool as long as it isn't too dirty. I've used BP quite a bit back when I shot muzzle loaders and I remember how aggravating clean up was.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:57 pm
Modern 38-55 factory ammunition with the standard 255 grain jacketed flat point is loaded to the 1300 +/- FPS velocity levels. You can easily duplicate that. I shoot a custom built Winchester 94 in 38-55. I load a Cast Performance 265 grain gas checked bullet to 1800 FPS using smokeless powder, Chronographed using a Pact Chronograph. It is a maximum charge and I built up to it. I shoot a plain base hand cast bullet from a Lee mold over smokeless and BP substitute to 1200 FPS, and less just for plinking.
Jacketed bullets will wear, they do have a higher friction coefficient, but today most everything is jacketed except for that which we search out from niche manufacturers or load ourself.
I have tried a few Hornady 220 grain and Sierra 200 grain jacketed, but I prefer to stay with cast. I cast for all my hand guns and many of my long guns. The only commercial cast I use are the Cast Performance 265s.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:46 pm
I have a BIG supply of lead I have collected over the years. I'm not sure of its purity and it may have some tin in it but using the fingernail test it seems pretty soft. I should have enough to outlast the barrel.

I have been around folks who hand loaded for many years but I never thought too much about it or asked any questions. I just kept on cutting my pillow ticking and ramming the lead from the front end. I've always been a traditionalist when it comes to firearms, always making fun of the repeaters and then turn around to snuff the candle in pitch black darkness. My eyes are fading now and I need to have a few extra shots for "just in case".

Where do you get your brass?

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:35 pm
Winchester and Starline both make and market cases. Starline makes it in 2 lengths, you want the short one, same as Winchester makes. The Long ones are for single shot rifles. You'll just have to shop all the online suppliers. Availability is spotty. I just sold a bag (50) of new Winchester to a guy in WV. Shop around, don't be afraid to buy factory ammo and shoot it out.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:08 pm
I see quite a bit of old, collectible 38-55 ammo around. I don't think I would shoot out that stuff but I'm wondering what you think. I had an instance where I shot an old Remington Peters 30-40 Krag round in my Springfield carbine and it ringed the bolt face. Luckily, I had another bolt.

It might be worth pulling the bullets however. That is, if the cases aren't corroded on the inside.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:02 pm
I was at a gun show this weekend here in Montana. There was good modern 38-55 ammo for sale, not cheap. No new cases there.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:25 pm
Wow, if I had known that I would have had you pick some up for me. Probably is a good bit more available up around your neck of the woods. Down here in ms, not too much of a following.

What's on the net is crazy high but being new to the caliber I wouldn't know exactly.

Return to Winchester Model 1894