Pre-64 Question

.22LR
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:06 am
I understand the Pre-64 rifles brings a premium price but how much more percentage or dollars would a pre-64 over a post 64 cost. Everyone tells me if possible get a Winchester pre-64 rifle but how much more should I expect to pay for a Winchester Model 1894 if both models have the same details?

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:37 am
I would say on the average 4 to 6 hundred check prices on Gunbroker.com

About $200 more check around
Last edited by GUNNER_D on Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: no paticular reason at all
"Im just a Peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns"

.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:25 am
Thanks for the info Gunner_D.

With the 1894 post 64 using cheaper material to control cost, is there any known issues with either the pre 64 or post 64 that someone should be aware of?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:33 pm
The quality of a Post 64 Model 94 varies with the year it was made. Starting in 1964 Winchester started using a process similar to how ceramics are made instead of milling steel stock from one piece of steel. That process produced very strong receivers, but those receivers wouldn't hold blueing for very long. It would come off like a cheap paint job. Winchester also used hollow pins instead of solid steel pins, some parts in the ammunition handling were stamped instead of solid machined steel. The Winchesters made in the sixties were a cheapened product, and the real difference was that they didn't last as long as the Pre 64's. The cheapened Winchesters were not well received and they made changes in order to gain back some of the loyal customers. Some of the rifles that were made in the seventies were an improvement and they also made a series of lever guns that were made of steel stock and charged higher prices for them.

Trying to cheapen an established quality product didn't work out too well for Winchester.

Return to Winchester Model 1894