New to lever guns!

.22LR
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:57 am
I'm not new to firearms but new to lever action rifles and obviously, new to this forum (I did post in the welcome section). Back around the end of October, I bought a Winchester Model '94 at a local pawn shop. Based on its serial # it was made in 1968. I'm guessing that it is the Standard Carbine model. While certainly not pristine, it is in decent condition. (I know, very subjective) The metal is free of any rust and the blueing is at least 90% (maybe more) intact. The furniture has suffered some but I think that I will be able to restore/repair it. The bore is bright and the crown is undamaged. The action is smooth. It was missing the front sight cover/hood (but they found it at the pawn shop :D ) and the rear sight blade (attachment) but I should be able to get a replacement but have yet to do so.
I'm thinkin' that 3 weeks prior to Deer Season here in WI was probably NOT the best time to buy a rifle if best price is a concern :? . The LGS was running a 10% off sale on all used center fire rifles tho so I was able to be out the door for less than $250. It was the only lever gun that I'd seen in this shop for a long time and I was sure that it would be gone soon. I made sure I was the one that put it in the "gone" mode. I'm happy with my purchase!

Here's a couple of pics:

In addition to the Winchester Mod'94's highly touted attributes of time tested design, function and reliability, I wanted a gun that exuded Americana! There are others that fit that description to be sure and I'm positive that others will mention them, but there's no doubt in my mind that the Winchester Mod '94 holds a prominent position in that group of firearms.

I am hoping that as a member of this forum, I will be able to come up to speed quickly RE: the specifics as well as the general aspects of my Winchester Mod '94. I look forward to spending some time here on the forum. That's it for now.

Sleeper
20g
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:41 am
In case I missed you in the new member posting....Welcome!

You did good with the '94 find. Nice condition....nice price.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:15 pm
Nice looking Rifle.

I agree, you got it for a great price.

Bill
NRA Member

.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:28 am
Cowboy Gun Fan wrote:Nice looking Rifle.

I agree, you got it for a great price.

Bill

Thanks! As mentioned at the start of this thread, buying a popular rifle just before deer season probably wasn't the best idea :oops: , but had I "blinked" that gun would have been sold very quickly. Still glad that I bought it. I'm thinking that the "low end of the range" price may have been due to the fact that the stock had a pretty serious chunk of material ripped out of it (visible on lower pic). Not having the front sight hood and missing part of the rear sight may have factored in also.

Now that the gun deer season is over (and gift giving Holidays are approaching) guns are showing up at pawn shops. I stopped into one (that is too far away to visit regularly) the other day and saw 5 or 6 Win 94s on their rack! None were pre-64, none were in primo condition AND all were at least $100 more than I paid for mine! I'm feeling even better about my purchase now :D.
Sleeper
20g
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:28 pm
Think in future tense......you have purchased a classic deer taker for next season. This season is for practice. Had you hesitated, some other fellow would have scored the good deal.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:02 pm
redryder wrote:Think in future tense......you have purchased a classic deer taker for next season. This season is for practice. Had you hesitated, some other fellow would have scored the good deal.

Redryder,
You are absolutely right and tho I haven't hunted for many years, next year I just may. "Snooz and looz" is definitely the name of the game in the used firearms market! Over-priced stuff sits in the rack for a while longer but stuff that's at or near market value moves quickly.
On a side note, it's kinda sad but I'll bet the guy (maybe a gal) that pawned or sold this rifle to the pawn shop didn't get much more than $100 - $125 for it :(. I know it's a business and there's a certain amount of risk involved but still. One thing's for sure, I hope I'm never so desperate that I have to take my guns to a pawn shop.
BTW, thanks also for your initial comment on my find. In the current gun market I don't think I could have done better, unless, of course, I was a pawn broker :lol:.
Sleeper

Return to Winchester Model 1894