Removing a barrel from a vintage Win SRC Model 94

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:47 pm
Hello,

I need to know the best way to remove the barrel on a vintage Winchester '94 SRC. I believe that it's year of manufacture is 1907. The serial range is 239XXX. Correct me if I'm wrong on the year.

I bought this carbine at a gun show last year. I just bought another barrel for it. The old barrel had 30-30 stamped on it over the 30 WCF and I want to fix that with another barrel that is correct for this carbine. I don't know why anyone would do this.

I have heard that one can strip down the carbine to the barrel and striped receiver freeze it for a day or two and that it would be much easier to remove the barrel with an vise and barrel wrench as the receiver will warm up quickly while the barrel will remain cold for a time. I've already got the usual advice on the application of Liquid Wrench of course.

I don't want to wreck the receive in the process so any advice would be appreciated. I live in the Southern California area. I'm a do it yourself guy but if this is a job best left for a gunsmith then perhaps some one the forum might steer me to the right place.

All the best to all of you on the forum.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:50 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum !!

Not sure I would put a torch to the receiver myself...gunsmith might be the way to go...and the gunsmith I use just does local work.

Pictures of this old barrel would be appreciated...I'd like to see this over-stamp.
20g
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:37 pm
Me....I would not go there on my own. Hello gunsmith with barrel replacement experience.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

Return to Winchester Model 1894