LEVERevolution in my 94

.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:12 pm
So I purchased all the goods today, dies, powder, & bullets. I found out that with the lever action of my win 94 I can't seat the bullet out very far, so it's nowhere near the lands and grooves. It is a little past max in the book, but cycles very well. According to my book the max for powder is 37gr, hodgdon's website and on the can says 35.5. I've got 4 loads with 36gr being the highest. I don't have a lot of brass, so they'll be 4 shot groups instead of 5 like I would normally shoot. This powder is a royal pain to work with as it sticks to everything, and I still haven't gotten it all out of my dispenser and trickler. I plan to do some shooting on friday. If these don't shoot accurately I'll try other primers, these are Federal 210s which was my only option from this gun shop. I could also try the 140gr monoflex bullets if nothing else pans out.

Has anyone else shot some of this ammo (reloaded or factory) out of a 94? I'd be interested to know what to expect from a lever gun.

Ryan_________________________

Winchester 94 30-30 Win
Administrator
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:11 pm
Out of my Marlin 336 that is all that I shoot and I couldn't be happier. They have put a lot of meat in my freezer. Good luck with them!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:48 pm
Sorry...I'm not a reloader, but I'm sure some member here will have something to add.

.22LR
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:54 pm
I have everything that I need to reload .30-30 WIN for my Mod '94 but just (sadly) just haven't been motivated enough to do so. I can't speak to the LEVERevolution powder that you are using but with other powders that I use, I find that wiping the inside of the powder hopper with an anti-static dryer sheet and then wrapping the sheet around the outside of the hopper (securing it with a rubber band) seems to drastically reduce those pesky issues that you describe RE: powder sticking to everything. Wiping the trickler and pan of your scale arrangement will be helpful too. Give it a try!
Sleeper
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:20 am
Thanks sleeper...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:36 am
I've loaded Hornady FTX exclusively for my .30-.30 and .32WS using Leverevolution since it became available. You can't do better in my rifles. I did have some cycling issues with my .307AE, but fixed that easily by loading a flat point round in the mag tube first, the FTX bullets will align better this way.

Return to Winchester Model 1894