Pre 64 Winchester 30-30 carbine

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:18 pm
Hello again,
Here is a very nice pre 64 Winchester 94 30-30 carbine. Serial number 1875895 dates this to 1953.
This gun has most of it's original bluing and almost all of it's original finish on the stock and forearm.
If it's been fired it hasn't been fired much. I've had it for 30 years and have never shot it. I got it from my dad who had it 20+ years and I can't remember him shooting it. Anyway....nothing special, just a nice pre 64. Thanks for looking.
Wayne
Attachments
IMG_7046.JPG
IMG_7046.JPG (117.43 KiB) Viewed 8473 times
IMG_7047.JPG
IMG_7047.JPG (107.49 KiB) Viewed 8473 times
IMG_7048.JPG
IMG_7048.JPG (98.44 KiB) Viewed 8473 times
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:10 pm
Love my 1894...!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:31 am
Wayne:

Your Winny is in good shape. I assume that you keep the metal oiled? I work on my Pre 64's every couple of months. Lightly oil the moving parts of the action. I hand rub a drop of oil on the barrel and use a thin cotton cloth to get between the barrel and the magazine. It is important to do this periodically to fend off pitting and rust. The rule of thumb is a small amount of oil. as in a drop spread out along the metal. It is not a good idea to soak it. A thin, light coat that makes the metal shine but not drip of oil.

Your dad's rifle will not wear out anytime soon if you shoot it. Pre 64's were made of all Forged steel and I assure you that you will wear out long before the action on that rifle.

Cheers!

Mike T.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:06 pm
Mike,
I agree completely. You are right on!
Thanks
Wayne

.22LR
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:25 pm
Nice gun! Looks to be in great shape!
I was in a "not so local" LGS the other day and a guy brought in a Win '94 (.32cal) for the shop smith to evaluate RE: value. It was a tiny bit older than the one in this post (ser # put mfrg date late in 1952). Hard to tell for sure but looked nearly identical to the posted pics with one exception. Original owner "Bubba'd" it somewhat (in my mind) by drilling a 1/2" hole about 2" in from the butt plate along the top of the butt stock and mounted a tiny compass in the hole! Was this a common thing "back in the day"?

The guy mentioned that he might be wanting to sell it but wasn't sure. I made some effort to convince him to keep it and hope that he will. I told him about this forum. He might become a member.

I know that this post doesn't have much to do with the original post except that the gun that I saw in the shop was so close in age so I thought I'd comment.
Sleeper

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:09 pm
The practice of mounting compasses, almost all pretty small appears to be fairly prevalent. I have seen a number. As I was involved in a lot of land surveying and had a son who was winning navigation championships all over I have yet to see one mounted on a rifle or a BB Gun (lots of compasses on them ) that was very big or accurate. The Buck Rodgers BB Gun had them on some models. After that by the Daisy Red Ryder Christmas Story Special (see Joe Murfin's book Daisy, It All Starts Here) based on the famous movie about Ralphie who wanted a Red Ryder BB Gun "with a compass on it and something that tells time". So that BB gun had a sundial and a small compass.

Having checked a number of rifle compasses at hunting camps I felt their accuracy and utility was quite questionable. If they are done well they DO NOT DETRACT from the value of a used rifle, and might enhance it. BB Guns with the compass are worth more than those without it. For actual compass use I would strongly recommend a Silva Compass. Silva Compass accuracy is very, very good. Since the better Silva Compasses have a flip up mirror used to orient the Magnetic Arrow and as an aid in sighting they cannot be mounted on a rifle if you wanted to. Since you should keep a compass away from metal objects when you are reading them it isn't a good practice to mount them on a rifle anyhow. If the comapss and the mounting were really done well it would catch my interest as a buyer I can tell you. I regret I do not have a really good photograph of a compass mounted on a rifle and would like to take a good one but right now I don't know of one close enough by.

I think your advice to the guy you met a the gun store was very sound. They have to buy it for about half of the price they will sell it for a direct sale would be better. Every home should own one of these rifles is a statement I have seen in a number of reviews on the Winchester 1894.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:23 pm
It would be interesting to see the 1894 that had the compass mounted on it. The photos of your rifle are detailed enough to evaluate such a addition. But it takes a pretty good photographer and camera and lens to take a photo in a LGS that could be sharp and lit well enough to really see it.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:23 pm
I love my 3 1894s
"Im just a Peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns"

Return to Winchester Model 1894