Model 94 made by Cooey ?

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:42 pm
The BB says that non domestic commemoratives where manufactured by Cooey Cobourg Canada.
OK we know that but they ar all marked "Made in New Haven" and it seems that there is no difference with domestic rifles. Even boxes are printed "made in the USA".
So my question is about standard 94.
US catalogs from 1960 to 1979 don't show it in caliber 44-40 but it exists.
Some people say that it was manufactured by Cooey but is there a difference about markings.
Does somebody have any information about this ?

PS : once more i'm sorry for my bad english.
The fear of weapons is the sign of a lack of maturity
20g
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:51 am
Welcome to the herd Jeanghis.

Your English is tall compared to my French.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:59 am
Welcome back Jeanghis...

Yes...the Blue Book is correct. The commemoratives were made by H. W. Cooey Machine & Arms Company in Cobourg, Ontario ...(later acquired by the Winchester Arms Company. ) ...and since they were acquired by Winchester...the various parts would be labeled as such...as would the box.

The box would NOT be labeled Cooey...or manufactured in Canada, if that is your question.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:46 am
Back in the 1970's I purchased a new Winchester Model 94 .32 Winchester Special.Have sold the rifle since and the box went with the rifle.From what I remember there was nothing different about the rifle in its markings,but the box was marked assembled in Canada.

Winchester purchased the H.W. Cooey Company in 1961.Thereafter it was known as Winchester Western (Canada) LTD.
Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:23 pm
Hi
thank very much you for your answers.
All seems to be clear now.
That's what i thought (if i understood well) : at least for the 94, the parts were manufactured in the USA and just assembled by Cooey in Canada, and so barrels really made in New Haven and marked so.
I recently found Cooey-Winchester catalogs from 1976 and 1977. The 94 was avalaible in 32Wsp caliber in 1976 and in 1977 it disapeared while the .44-40 appeared for the firt time.
The .44-40 was only sold in the Cooey-Wincheter catalogs, in all Winchester (New haven) catalogs we don't see it from 1960 to 1997 (excluding commemos). In 1998 the Trails End models were chambered in .44-40.

The fear of weapons is the sign of a lack of maturity
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:22 pm
Good to know...thanks for the update !

Return to Winchester Model 1894