Current 1894 Quality

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:37 pm
I may buy a 94 Winchester. Looking at a Cabela's 50th Anniv. Model in 30-30. What do Winchester Owner's forum people think of the new ones made in Japan. I am very familar with the new and older Model 70s. and they are excellent. The only 94 I own now is the .22 and it is wonderful and was purchased in 1973 or there abouts.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:42 pm
Haven't heard anything bad about the Miroku models made in Japan...

My Model 1894 is a top eject made in 1977 and chambered for the .30WCF.

It has taken more whitetail than all of my other rifles combined...

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:53 pm
I have seen forums (NOT THIS ONE) that are knocking JapChesters. Again I am very familiar with the Model 70s for a number of years and they have been very good lately. The Miroku models made in Japan I would think are very, very good or would not be made there. Now my last decision is a Cabela's 50th in 30-30 or a 30-30 in the current sporter model. About the same cost either way. The current sporter has checkering. Thanks to Shooter 13 for his answer! I did pass on the Cabela's version in 38-55 as the ammo is very expensive and I thought the 30-30 history was more special to my own situation.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:19 pm
I would much rather have a nice original pre-64 myself. But that said, I'm not real familiar with them, except for some of the prices they have on them. When I was looking for one, I found those to be quite pricey.

Bill
NRA Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:23 am
I have read nothing but Rave Reviews of the Miroku Winchesters from people that own them. The quality looks to be exceptional, and the prices are high. I am sure that is a fairly high Import Duty on those rifles to enter the US, so that adds to the cost. Also, SHIPPING from Japan to the US and making it through Customs adds additional cost.

Anyone interested in one should check the description and specifications in detail, Most all models have all steel receivers. There are some that use some type of alloy mixed with aluminum for lighter weight. I haven't looked into what, or how much is aluminum, I would just as soon stick with the US made Pre 64s that I own.

Mike T.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:49 am
According to the gun dealers and buyers I have talked to (about 6 dealers and about 50 buyers) the Mirokui
(sp?) built Winchesters quality has been VERY good. I have also looked at a number of other lever action rifles and also older Winchesters. I do own a 1973 Winchester built in the Winchester custom shop. I'd have to say the Winchesters are about the best of the lever action rifles and the current ones compare VERY well to the older ones. I looked at a number of Marlins including deluxe versions. There were some aspects of the deluxe Marlins I liked, but they were also beset by some really questionable features. The Cabela's 38-55 caliber Winchesters are lovely build quality and the question I would have about them is almost every one in that black powder caliber and very expensive ammo. My own assessment of these lever guns has led me to think when I buy a high end one it will be in 30-30.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:44 pm
30-30 is always a safe buy. Whats more, it is a very useful caliber. You can kill most any American Game animal within 100 yards with a 30-30. I primarily fire 150 grain 30-30 ammo at the range for practice. But there are 170 grain 30-30 ammo rounds available and other ammo that could kill a very large bear. For Grizzly territory I would want a larger caliber and possibly a Nosler Partition round to turn a Grizzly into a large heap on the ground. Otherwise, the 30-30 can handle just about anything in this country.

The only thing I would suggest when considering a new Winchester, be sure it has an all steel Receiver.

Marlins-questionable features? Example? I can say that the 336 action rifles have all forged steel Receivers.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:16 pm
I owned too many teddy bears to ever shoot a Brown Bear on purpose. I have some really dramatic Brown Bear photos taken in National Parks AND hunting zones. I would never go hunting one on purpose. The Thirty Thirty Chapter in Jack O'Connor's The Hunting Rifle has some really interesting perspective by him and especially a old guy who was a close friend and market hunter. The old boy was very pro thirty thirty and when Jack Hunted with him he used the 7X57 Mauser he bought because the old boy was very even anti .270 as it was "Too noisy and ruined too much damn meat!". Apparently the old boy thought 17 or 18 elk for a box of twenty cartridges was average when he was market hunting.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:36 pm
I was very serious about a Deluxe 336 Marlin. The gun store that had it ordered it since they figured the quality and price was worth it over the standard model. They were right about that. The biggest turn off for me was the 30-30 designation on the rifle I could not read without magnifying glasses but the Warning wording was I felt very over the top. Anyone that doesn't associate a rifle with even death (for something) when it is being used for anything other than shooting at targets. The most undesirable feature was clearly assessed by all who looked at it as the press checkering. I thought the checkering was good enough and a pleasant pattern.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:50 pm
Marlin makes a fine rifle...press checkering still does the job.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:04 pm
I ordered the Winchester Model 1894 new Miroku built Sporter Model today. I looked at a whole pile of lever actions out there. From Marlin to Henry to Rossi to Uberti to others. And I sure looked at a LOT of different calibers form .22 magnum to Marlin .204. The .357 Magnum models are selling pretty well. I finally decided that although I shoot .357 magnum in a great Ruger Super Blackhawk that I'd rather get the 30-30. The rifle I ordered has a 24" barrel. Since i have quite a few new Model 70s of just about the same overall length I decided that I'd like the checkering and could deal with the long barrel. The short rifle new 1894 was probably my next choice. The Sporter is about $1.150 with most every dealer who can get them and there are not many out there. A new run will be coming in October but will only fill half of the existing orders. Time to buy for me. The Cabela's 1894 Special only came in 38-55 with ONE lone 30-30 being produced. I had an option on that rifle but passed on it. The current 1894 Sporter is beautiful and soon I will own one!
20g
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:20 pm
Congratulations Davey.....I like your choice.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:25 am
The curved butt plate is the one reservation I have about this. For me building a few back up stocks with our stock building equipment....the curved stock and fitting the curved plate is something we have NOT DONE anything except black powder Kentucky and Pennsylvania long rifles. And fitting those was something we would be reluctant to tackle today. Now we mostly would send out black powder stocks as select blanks only and leave the customer or a long rifle company to do all the rest.

The "shotgun style" butt plate has always been our preference! I regard it as easy to work with, functional and easy to stand leaning on the butt plate. I have never had much experience with the curved butt plate. That includes how they feel at the shoulder when shooting. I am not talking about recoil as I have decided on the 30-30 which I regard as very mild in recoil.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:04 pm
I MIGHT pick up my new Sporter 1894 24" barrel 1894 tomorrow. The dealer I ordered it through seems almost reluctant to get it sold from his store. They are not displaying the rifle though. It is in the new gun box, etc.. I did look carefully at it. Great workmanship. Plain white box that supposedly all new Winchesters come in???? Is this questionable marketing or what. It was built in Japan (Miroku) in April of 2015....this year.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:55 am
Never did understand that move...
20g
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:58 pm
The plain white box is unusual for a manufacturer. Box script and logos are free advertising as the contents are transferred around. Don't know about the new models, however a Winchester with original box usually brings the seller a few more dollars.

When I was in broadcasting, I would use plain white boxes to replace lost or damaged original vacuum tube boxes.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:05 am
The Winchester Model 1894 Sporter built by Miroku weighed in at 7 3/8 pounds. Winchester told me that the white boxes now are standard. Again that is how my rifle came. Both Winchester Arnold, Missouri and Morgan Utah confirmed this. Still find that very hard to believe. Seems like a blunder to me. The rifle quality though is superb and all other details are perfect. I can't believe a logo box will not reappear soon. The logo box adds more to the rifle perceived value. Hard to believe a $50.00 75th anniv. Red Ryder Daisy BB Gun comes with that nice a box and Winchester's looks like a replacement box??

Now to see if I can shoot worth a darn with the Buckhorn rear sight stock rig or if I am going to have to add a peep sight. The tang area safety looks fine to me, actually quite slick by my reckoning. But it does rule out a Tang rear peep sight. I will NOT use a scope on this rifle if at all possible but all reviews I see on the new 30-30 say it is very accurate that way. I do NOT want a side mounted rear peep sight.
20g
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:14 pm
Since you have confirmed the plain boxes are factory, the only thought I have is profit. Plain white boxes probably shave off production costs. As a Winchester fan, I do not appreciate the change.

First, hand-off manufacturing to Japan.

Second, plain white generic box.

What's next?
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:27 pm
I do NOT think the white box from Winchester can possibly stay that way for very long. It as any one who has sold a rifle knows bad for customer confidence. In my experience shooters, collectors, and almost any buyer (including a dealer buying to resell like Kittery Trading Post in Maine, or LL Bean) would rather have new in box unfired or at the very least a like new rifle with the original Winchester Box. How long it is going to take to get a very negative customer reaction I am uncertain, but it won't take a full year for this cost saving measure to be replaced.

I might just be one of the least likely to be sold on needing the Winchester Logo box as other details mean a lot to me......but I was surprised enough to do a thorough checking on why no original Winchester Logo box. If I were in that business i would be putting some marketing on the box as well. The Nichol's Cap Gun Factory in Texas was adamant about box design and marketing. So is Daisy in Rogers in Arkansas. The total number of 1894 Winchesters was something over 7 million. I actually would like to know that number if any of you might know what it was somewhat recently. One would think at the current rate that total number (the most of any rifle ever) will not grow much larger.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:07 am
Not too surprising to me...American industry is on the wane no matter what they produced...and Japan is running a close second with the American attitude.

I fear for where this country is heading...3rd world comes to mind. The fall of Rome...and her Republic.
20g
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:32 pm
Many early product boxes were art. Some remain so as others have moved away to less expensive packaging. Too bad.....most everything I grew up enjoying are no longer worthy of concern.

Early comic books, gold and silver age, are an examples of art. Not anymore.

I'll not get into my reasons as the subject is too subjective.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:53 pm
Question to veterans like Red Ryder and Shooter 13......Any experience with Skinner Peep Sights? I sure INTEND to use the stock sights for my new Winchester 94 Sporter. I will stick with them if possible. I also will make darn sure they can be put back on if the rifle is sold later by one of my family. They sure will have some rifles to choose from and I would think they will sell the surplus. Since my current fleet mostly scoped bolt actions which can hold MOA and they are sighted in based on what the specific rifle was intended for. This Model '94 in contrast was bought almost exclusively due to my passion for western movies and I want it to be as 1894 to 1930s as possible. I am a pretty good shot with iron sights and have done very well just recently with offhand unsupported shooting....but mostly this rifle I admit is pretty much like a walking stick.....portable nostalgia.

Again it is the very first 30-30 I have ever owned. All the Native American rifles I held (four) from Battle of White Bird Plains and Little Big Horn were 1866 Winchesters in my memory, or one was a Henry??? That was in 1970 when I was in the west working with Native Americans every day.

I work in a farming operation that is very diverse and we are building some stuff that is very well done.
I do think American industry is slipping and have seen this sine I was in my 20s have studied our balance of trade and many other details that many could not be bothered with. I did not get to be an Army Colonel without applying myself but it does make you very aware where the USA is heading and our relative productivity.

We have been very concerned with packaging, imagery, and promotion of our work in our business (and have a reputation of helping others whose work we admire) and do think that Your collective comments are both astute and certainly make me think Winchester Owners Forum is on a good track. I have also learned more than a little here and a couple of other similar sites.

Lastly I do admit that the current 1894's are NOT easy to get, quite expensive, and in contrast I have seen a Crazy Horse Winchester 1894 (although he and Sitting Bull had 1866s!) that was beautifully done
and came in a box that was adorned with art work that made me think I needed one of those. Of course I don't need one of those......even the brass upholstery tacks were positioned to hold meaning according to the Lakota Tribesmen. That is a tradition that too seems lost today. I for one think their spirits still linger and enrich our lives.
20g
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:27 pm
Well Davey, I can't partner with you on scopes and peeps as I have never scoped or peeped a lever. I could probably get to like a tang peep. Some firearms are meant to be enjoyed via iron sights. Levers are the some.

Colonel, 06, I presume, is a kick-ass rank. In the Coast Guard as your know, an 06 is a Captain. Very powerful rank with due respect up and down the chain.

Thank you for your service to what is now an America in trouble.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:07 am
My brother Kermit (named for Teddy Roosevelt's son) was a Coast Guard Captain. Half of his rifles are from Japan like a .257 Weatherby Magnum built by Hoya. He and I own a farm in the Southern Tier of NY.
His homes are Washington and Hawaii. I was only a 06 Colonel for a very short time. Unless one has a rank for three years it reverts to the next lower rank upon retirement. So it really is LT. Colonel in my case. The BEST WORK I ever did was as a Captain. Come to think of it....the awards I won were mostly when I was a SP4!

I have EVERY intention of using iron sights on this 94 Winchester. The tang peep sight is out as the rifle has a nice tang safety which is not very highly rated by many, but I think it is OK. Looks nice.....Still have yet to get the rifle in my possession. I am supposed to pick it up today now.....that keeps getting delayed by my local store. Until I shoot it on our rifle range here at this farm I don't know how it will work for me. I do know my Winchester 9422 was such a problem I finally put a red dot sight on it and then it was a cinch to hit anything out to 50 yards and fast to use. Since my concept with this new rifle is that 1894 to 1930 time frame I need to stay with iron sights. Skinner peep sights for the 94AE are supposed to require not drilling or tapping. If I can get by with the buckhorn I will.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:01 pm
No experience with peep sights Davey...sorry I can't help.
Next

Return to Winchester Model 1894