Model 94 Help Needed

.22LR
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:24 pm
A number of years ago I bought a used Model 94 in 30-30. It is in the 6 million serial range and has a cross bolt safety.
It fired just fine when I bought it, but hasn't been fired in 4 or 5 years. I took it to the range, and it would fire, extract the empty, and then on about every other round the nose of the bullet would jam up against the breech face instead of chambering.
It appeared the cartridge carrier was not lifting the round high enough in the rear and so the angle of the round was too steep as the bolt moved forward.
I tried babying the lever, I tried smartly working the lever, I had some gun oil with me and squirted it on the mechanism. Nothing worked.
Can anyone give me any ideas?
I guess I'll have to remove the bolt and strip the receiver for a thorough clean and lube, but I've never done that with a 94 before. I'm mechanically inclined and firearm savvy, but if it is something simple I'd like to try that first.
Oh, the ammo was Hornady, and Remington Core Locked.
Member: Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, AMVETS, Society of the 5th Infantry Division
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:05 am
Sorry Al, can't help you with your question...

But I'm sure someone here will have an answer.

If you search YouTube...takedown procedures can be found to help.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:35 pm
I really don't know that much but if I had to make a guess based on what you described, maybe replacing the carrier spring might help.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:42 am
I would call the Winchester Parts Department in Arnold Missouri. We are really good here at fixing guns although we are not certified gunsmiths. In my travels I have found that the Winchester parts Department
people know these guns well. Also you may need a minor part or it may need adjustment.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:46 am
The Arnold Missouri Parts Department will have this carrier spring. Since you don't have the part number you will have to run with them the serial number to find out what the right part is. Also describe the problem and ask to talk to a real veteran. In our case if we saw it we could fix it, this usually is a hands on requirement and is tough to answer without seeing the problem.
.22LR
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:01 am
Thanks. I will investigate the carrier spring.
Since I didn't even know there was a carrier spring, you have already helped me immensely.
Thank you!
Member: Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, AMVETS, Society of the 5th Infantry Division

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:52 pm
I think it is the carrier spring as I had one that was doing the same thing nearly as I can tell from what you wrote. I think a new carrier spring is the way to go they aren't too costly. I had my son who does a lot of mechanical adjustments and prototypes and he was able to get my to work like new. When you call Arnold Missouri to ask about the part though be sure to describe the problem with them and they will be able to give you very good advice. I actually have had this happen on a friend's old 94 and on my Model 72 bolt action from 1940. Both did prove to be the carrier spring.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:20 pm
Are you using Leverrevolution ammo??
"Im just a Peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns"
.22LR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:56 am
No, my ammo stock is Winchester, Remington, and Hornady jacketed soft point - not the flex tip.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:27 am
The Hornady Whitetail rounds are developing a high quality, trouble free reputation compared to the Hornady Leverlution rounds. Winchester Super X in both 150 and 170 grain bullets seems to work very well in Winchester 30-30 rifles and for that matter almost every other lever action 30-30.

Return to Winchester Model 1894