Winchester Model 94 really sloppy

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:28 pm
So I just picked up a Model 94 chambered in 30-30. According to the serial number lookup tool I found, it was made in 1974.
Being new to Winchester lever guns, and used to Marlin and Henry levers, I am surprised at how sloppy the action is. First off, is this normal? It is hard to describe exactly how much slop there is. And with no frame of reference other than other makes that are, by comparison, very tight and smooth, I'm not sure how much is normal.
I was told that it fires fine. Haven't run any rounds through it yet (a little hesitant at this point). The bore looks okay. However without holding the lever up after it is cocked, it hangs down just enough for a little bar to hang down behind the trigger and impede the trigger movement.
The previous owner said that it has had trouble cycling rounds and that they get caught under the lift plate (I think that's what its called). I have cycled it over and over but it seems to work fine.
It just seems like there is play in every part of the action, from the lever to the trigger and everything in between, it just rattles and moves back and forth.
Do I have a gun that is a piece of junk? Any help would be greatly appreciated from those of you who are familiar with this make and model of rifle.
Also, is there anywhere I could buy a "re-build kit" if such a thing exists? New levers, pins, etc, to tighten up the action?
20g
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:30 pm
Welcome to the forum Machinist.

Some Winchester levers have slight wobble, However, I'm thinking yours has too much. Had to return a 9410 to the vendor because the lever was far too loose in all directions. All my present levers are acceptable. There are several Winchester lever savvy members. Somebody will reply.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:11 am
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum Machinist !!

Post a picture of that M94 when you find the time...

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:37 pm
Not sure about a rebuild kit, but the little bar that hangs down is a safety feature. You should not be able to pull the trigger if the lever is not fully up against the stock.
Last edited by RLS on Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Desert Storm Vet.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:53 am
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum RLS !!

Please introduce yourself to our community in the New Member Welcome Area...

Enjoy the Forum !!

Return to Winchester Model 1894