94 Questions, mostly History

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:43 am
Good Morning everyone. I have lots of questions on the 94 Levers but will start with the most pressing. I just purchased a really nice .375 am still waiting for delivery and am currently looking for a nice 32 Special.
Thanks in advance for any help.
1. As far as history. Can anyone point me toward a source of the history of the 1894's? Maybe a good book.
2. I'm confused about the Pre 64 and Post 64. I've been doing a lot of surfing and reading on it and have run across some discrepancies. I understand that Winchester changed their manufacturing process in 64, basically reducing cost by using cheaper components and possible different wood. Please help me understand this:
a. What changed in 64?
b. Generally, how did this affect the value?
c. Did Winchester return to better manufacturing processes after 64, if so when was this?
3. As far as the receiver being tapped for a peep sight. I'm referring to the two screws at the top rear of the left side.
a. When in did Winchester start adding this feature to the 1894? Was this offered Pre 64?
4. Rifling in the .32 is confusing. In my reading online, I ran across someone that said it was offered in three different riflings. It started as 1 in 16, he said it was also offered as 1 in 14 and 1 in 12 such as the 30-30. Is it true that Winchester made 32 Specials in anything other than 1 in 16? If they did, what dates in the history did they offer anything different? If they did, how do you know if a rifle you are looking at has different rifling, other than trying to physically count it? (Sorry, this one is a mouthful)

I guess that's quite a list. I'll stop there for now.
Again, thanks in advance for any help.

BlueC7
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:17 am
Here is a good start:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_Model_1894

Return to Winchester Model 1894