Display question.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:06 pm
Hi, I am new to this forum and have a question.
I recently acquired a Winchester 94, 76 bicentennial edition 30-30. No box or paperwork but the piece is in mint condition with very nice burl walnut. It also came with a full box of the matching silver 30-30 rounds in their original box.
It is not unfired so I plan to do some target practice and let the grandchildren target shoot as well. (we won't be using any of the old rounds :o ) I have both right and left hand family members who shoot.
My questions: when not out of the house I plan to display it in our family room, high up on a set of wooden pegs. I would also like to mount a vintage scabbard below it. I have looked at several in auctions and various other sites but have not made a decision because I am clueless as to what would be appropriate for this rifle. I want the display to be as authentic as possible.
I am leaning on your experience and expertise to guide me in this. Any other suggestions and input is also welcome.
Thanks in advance,
Ken
20g
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:37 pm
Welcome to the site.

This might be too much to deal with. Depending on available wood.

Using a thick piece of stained/varnished weathered Cypress. You can mount walnut or hickory pegs for the rile. Leave space below the rifle to mount the blade with rawhide either tacked to the board or hanging from a third peg.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:25 pm
Thank you for your reply.
After reading my post again I can see where your suggestion came from.
I am a semi-professional woodworker but was going to keep the rifle mount simple.

I am looking for direction on what type of scabbard to buy and display. One that would have been common with this version. It has a 22" barrel.
20g
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:44 pm
Not to beat this to much.........I mount some of my early cowboy stuff on those oak planks from shipping pallets. Free from most anywhere and looks rustic as is or varnished. Using as many as needed for each project.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:05 pm
I just finished cleaning up a US Cavalry marked M1918 Rifle Scabbard from WWI..as it was designed to fit a 1903 I tried it on my m94 and it fits real nice. An option in your search. Not sure what was used in the late 1800's. FWIW, the 1873 with 26" bbl is too long for this scabbard.

20g
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:15 pm
I like your saddle scabbard. Rustic and historical. My SRC would be at home in there.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:22 pm
I'm kind of drawn to the ones that have fringe. They look very western. But what do I know, I'm new to Winchester rifles.
20g
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:47 am
Aw shucks Ken, you can be new and still have your druthers. I would go for the fringe too. However, this is military......no fringe.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:52 am
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum Ken !!

Please introduce yourself to our community via the New Member Welcome Area...

Enjoy the forum.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:15 pm
Hey Shooter13, I have a US Army Commemorative Thompson like the one in your picture. I wouldn't be opposed to selling it. I am not the original owner, thus, do not have the certificate of authenticity. It is unfired.
Ken

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:46 pm
Yikes..always wanted to shoot one of those. Wznna trade it for a sczbbard? I got one with fringes...

20g
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:25 am
You'll shoot your eye out!
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:30 pm
My late father was in the Army/Air corps during WWII. Didn't see any action. He told my brother and me a story about being on a beach with a bunch of other trainees. There were fox holes dug in the sand. One of the trainees was handed a Thompson full auto. He squeezed the trigger, panicked, and sprayed rounds all over. Everyone dived into the fox holes until he emptied the clip. Made quite an impression on my father.
Dad was on a "flat-top" en route to invade the Japanese mainland when the A bombs were dropped.
20g
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:10 pm
Interesting backstory Ken.

I was assigned to an anti-tank company with the USMC in Korea. We had several Thompsons. Tankers had 2 per tank with drum magazines. Support had 2 with stick magazines, the Thompsons didn't sling well with drums. We also had M1 Garands, M1 Carbines and semi-auto .45s. BTW....just so we can remember.....Magazines have springs, Clips do not. The M16 accepts magazines. The M1 Garand accepts clips.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

Return to Winchester Model 1894