1894 .32WS Owner looking for info...

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:07 am
Thanks in advance for any feedback you guys give me.

I own a Model 1894 in .32WS with serial number of 862XXX which I believe puts its manufacture date somewhere around 1917-1919. I've had a local gun shop look at it and tell me they didn't make that caliber in those years and that it was much newer than I thought.

I still believe I'm correct and he was misinformed but regardless that is why I'm here looking for info. I also think I may have a "safe ring gun" except that the ring is missing and has a large flat head screw where I believe the ring would belong, but how do I verify that?

I also don't believe I have factory iron sights tho the one that is on it does appear to be pretty old as well and is made by "Redfield". Again thanks for your time and any feedback will be appreciated....Thanks!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:48 am
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum !!

Please introduce yourself to our community via the New Member Welcome Area...

Enjoy the forum.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:50 am
The .32 Winchester Special (or .32 WS) is a rimmed cartridge created in October 1901 for use in the Winchester Model 94 lever-action rifle. It is similar in name but unrelated to the .32-20 Winchester cartridge (which is also known as .32 WCF).

This cartridge is based on the .30-30 Winchester cartridge of 1895, but differs from the .30-30 in bullet diameter. More significantly, Winchester decreased the rate of rifling twist in their Model 94 rifle, from 1:12 when chambered for the .30-30 to 1:16 when chambered for the .32 Winchester Special.

Winchester used the slower twist to reduce fouling retention when creating a new cartridge for sportsmen who wanted to reload their own ammunition using black powder and cast bullets.

(So...you're right...that guy don't know squat.)

As far as the Saddle Ring...a lot a people thought of them as "in the way" and usually removed them...IF they didn't get lost themselves over time...and usually would fill in the hole with a screw.

And chances are the original sight was thought to be either inadequate or the owner(s) before you swapped it out for the Redfield.

An 1894 that old would have seen some use...and what you have is not in the original configuration...but changed over the years into a useful firearm.

Enjoy it !!

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:47 pm
Thanks a lot for your input, it's much appreciated...out of curiosity what would u think my rifle may be worth?...I have no intention of selling but it'd be nice to have an idea...also, the bluing on mine is very fresh and in perfect shape, would u assume it's been re-blued?...were they originally blued?...most I've seen at gun shows look very worn and the metal almost looks untreated and has just a silver hue..if I knew how to attach pics I would but I'm not to savvy with this type of stuff...again thanks for your time, Brian.

Return to Winchester Model 1894