Custom 1894 Rifle?

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:19 pm
I have a 1957 Model 94 Carbine in 30-30, that I don't particularly love. Although it is in fine mechanical condition, it has been adapted by someone in the past in ways I don't like: The stock has been reshaped and lightened - admittedly quite neatly - so the buttplate area is reduced by about 10% and the comb sanded to a sharp edge. If I was making a total guess, I'd say it might have been done to fit a youth or female shooter. It also has a strange extra band around the magazine tube about halfway along its length, with small upward projections that 'support' the lower part of the barrel. This band is secured with a transverse screw which required a channel to be cut across the top of the magazine tube and the underside of the barrel so the screw could pass through the gap between tube and barrel. This band seems to be of no real use - let me know if you have any idea what it's for!

Anyway, I have it in mind use the pre-64 action to make up a new sporting rifle - octagonal barrel, new magazine tube of the correct length, rifle-style woodwork and appropriate sights. I should point out that I live in the UK where original 1894 rifles are pretty rare and very, very expensive in any condition, and as I have access to an extremely good gunsmith (a recognised expert in case hardening and stock finishing) I estimate that I might be able to have him assemble a really exceptional rifle for less money than (or the same money as) a well-worn 1920s original would cost me. I know this wouldn't make sense in North America, but remember I'm in a different market.

What do forum members think the hidden pitfalls of such a plan might be? 24" or 26"barrel for balance and accuracy (I like accuracy!)? Is it possible to fit a crescent butt and rifle foreend to a late 50's carbine action? Should I ask my gunsmith to weld up the holes for a receiver mounted aperture sight?

Thoughts and guidance welcome!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:39 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum Lashenden !!

Please introduce yourself to our community via the New Member Welcome Area...

Enjoy the forum.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:11 am
You are outside of my comfort zone in making a response. Photographs might help. Unfortunately, the benefits of rebuilding a rifle around a barrel and action is not one of the "first thoughts" in the US as there are so many less exasperating and less expensive options available. My first thoughts, since you cannot put wood back on that stock, was the addition of a butt pad for added length and a fine leather cheek pad. I don't know if these additions would give you better ease of use, or restore some level of acceptance for the rifle with the underlying condition remaining the same, but it would cost a lot less. How will you use the rifle when it is restored? Do your shooting partners agree that the rifle, in its present condition, is altered beyond function and visually abhorrent? Maybe just a.) replace the stock as an inexpensive start. The drilled cross bolt and band is another matter. b.) Take it off. c.) Maybe replace the cross drilled magazine tube. d.) Blue it and leave the cross drilled barrel alone. Then with these it will be close to original, not cost as much, and probably not be so irregular to your eye. Just thinking out loud here. Pictures will help.
If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Return to Winchester Model 1894