Trouble finding right scope mount for 94AE

.22LR
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:15 pm
I recently got a beautiful Model 94AE, with the cross hammer safety. I don't know what year it is. I am trying to mount a scope, to compensate for my poor eyesight.

The rifle came with weaver scope mount bases (94a for the front and 95 for the rear), though they were still in the package). I mounted them and used a set of Weaver rings that I have used on at least 4 other rifles with no problems to mount a Weaver 3-10x40 scope that has also been on several rifles. I used it because it is my favorite. Epic failure. I could not get the point of impact up to the point of aim.

I figured that they were the wrong bases so I ordered a one piece Weaver Grand Slam base, with matching rings, for Winchester Model 94AE. I reasoned that I couldn't go wrong with that. The package came, I drifted that it was marked properly for 94AE, and installed them. The fit perfectly. Come sight in day I was sadly disappointed. Same thing. I couldn't get the poi up. Gunsmith said it was the scope, so I bought a brand new Vortex 4-12x40 scope and mounted it on the Grand Slam base and ring set. Woe is me! It still does' work.

I stopped by another gun shop and discussed the situation with the old timers there. I bought a new two piece set and new rings, with their agreement that I could return them if they didn't work. I got them home and find that the bases are exactly the same as those that came with the rifle. However, I mounted the new ones and the new rings. I can't make it to the range until next week.

I am seeking help on this. Has anyone else run into this problem? Might there be some model years that had different dimensions, thus requiring special mounts?

Note. I am an ex machinist and have been mounting scopes on my rifles for 45 years. I have never had such difficulty.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:47 am
Sorry...can't help you with your problem. Other members here may know...stay turned.

.22LR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:19 pm
I was simply trying to assure any reader that I did install the mounts correctly. In addition, that was 30 years ago and the only measuring equipment I have is a dial caliper. My problem is, or anyone else in my situation for that matter, that we have no other '94AE to compare with.

I did see another person that posted the same problem on this forum. He was told to introduce himself, but I could not find any answers or help for his problem.

Is there nobody who has experienced this scope mount problem on a '94AE, and managed to solve it?

Help me Mr. Wizard, whoever and wherever yo are. :)

.22LR
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:41 pm
Update: 1 was at my wit's end on this problem, so I prayed about it. I saw a thread concerning front sight height on a different forum. The thread referenced a formula available at Brownell's, so I called their technical support.

The technical support told me about an "offset insert kit" for Burris Signature Z-Rings, that could raise the rear axis and/or lower the front axis. As God would have it, I bought those rings last week, so I ordered the offset inserts. That should solve the problem. A prayer can fix any problem.
20g
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:45 pm
Excellent sleuthing Gazer. Please advise if the kit brings joy.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

.22LR
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:45 pm
Got the offset insert set today and chose to raise the back ring by .10". Hopefully the minimalist approach will work. I will take the other rings to the range, just in case.

.22LR
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:12 pm
Finally got the rifle point of impact up to the point of aim. I had to insert the .20" offset inserts to raise the scope in the back. The kit would allow me to lower the front as well, if needed.

This is the solution to misalignment.
20g
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:49 am
Took some wiggling, but you made it work. Good job.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:29 pm
I figure the solution was divine intervention because I stumbled into the z rings a week before I knew of the offset inserts.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:20 am
DawnGazer wrote:I figure the solution was divine intervention because I stumbled into the z rings a week before I knew of the offset inserts.

:o Do you think you could post a few pictures of what you went through? Ol Deuce
Do The Best With What You Have!!!!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:48 am
Good Job on the solution...

.22LR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:58 pm
I am afraid that I am totally inept at posting pictures. I could emails some to you for posting, if you would be so kind.
20g
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:51 am
Try this:

Open the POSTREPLY Tab…Click the Upload attachment tab…To the right of Options tab. To the right of Filename…Click Browse to go to your photo folder…Open the photos you want to upload. The white space will display your photo link…Click Add the file.

Use Preview to see that the photo made the trip to your post. If your photo is visible and all is okay... Click Submit. All done.

I keep my photos on my hard drive in a folder titled “My Pictures”.

You can use a web photo hosting site if needed.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

Return to Winchester Model 1894