Too much headspace

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:23 pm
I grew up hunting with my dad's 1955 Model 94. Borrowed one for hunting while in college in the late 70s. Owned a 1974 version back in the mid to late 80s. I finally got another one this year.

I bought a 1951 Model 1894 back in June. Nice wood, but some former owner had used magic marker to draw 2" diamonds on both sides of the stock, and a smaller one on the bottom of the handguard. Personalized it he did. Then sealed it in. I've since fixed all that, and the wood looks pretty good now, if I do say so myself. No evidence of his previous sacrilege.

I've been working on the wood off and on since I bought it, so I really haven't done much with the rest of it till now. I did shoot it right after I bought it. That just had to be done. I fired a box of 150gr Federals through it. Every single one of those rounds had the primer pop about 60-70 thousandths of an inch. I did some reading, and found some suggestions that said to try putting a previously fired primer gently into the primer pocket of an unfired case, then closing the bolt on it. I did, and got the same result. I also tried it with a couple of previously fired but resized shells. Same results. All of them leave the primers sticking partway out of the primer pockets.

I've looked into oversized locking bolts, but those would only move the bolt at most 15 thousandths forward, and I've got a lot more room than that to fix.

Any ideas or suggestions of what to look at or for?

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:40 pm
You could get a different bolt ! that may solve the issue.....on your bolt serface around the firing pin..
is it all worn in ??????Im not a gun smith but!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you could have your barrel set back :roll:

Ol Deuce
Do The Best With What You Have!!!!

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:42 pm
Well, that's what I get for relying on my memory.

I just found the box of Federals that I shot last June. The primers are only popped about 14-15 thousandths, not 60-70 like I was remembering, so if it doesn't tighten up when I re-assemble it, I should be able to get a new locking bolt that will cure the problem. It's a pretty gun, and deserves to be used again.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:14 pm
Followup -

I got all the internal metalwork reassembled and properly lubed one day last week, and the wood back on the next. Finally got out to the range today. I wasn't particularly trying for any accuracy, as my primary concern was simply to make it go bang and check the primers. I loaded and fired five rounds, then checked for backed out primers. Almost nothing! A couple had the primers back out maybe .003" at most, and the others didn't show any backing out. I don't know if it was because I might have tightened something up when I reassembled it, or because the Remington ammo I was shooting has tighter primer pockets than the Federal brass. Regardless, I'm happy with it. Now I need to get some ammo loaded up and sight it in. I think it was last sighted in for heavier bullets, as the 150s I shot today were hitting low at 50 yards.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:48 pm
Cool...........I've found the powder chg will do it !! try a Med burn powder ???IMR 3031 ?????? may solve all the issues :D .................Ol Deuce

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:18 pm
Well, all the rounds I originally shot were factory, 20 federal and later 4 R-P, and the primers backed out roughly 0.015" on all of them, so I don't think the problem was the powder. Then after disassembly, cleaning and re-assembly, the five R-P rounds I shot yesterday from the same box all had 0.000" to 0.003" primer movement. I think it may have been re-assembled just a wee bit incorrectly by whomever last went through it. The front screw on the lever is pretty buggered up, so I know someone's been in there before me.

I bought a pound of IMR 3031 last week specifically for this gun. I have a bit of IMR 4895 left from before, but not much. Now I just need to decide on bullets.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:06 am
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum !!

Please introduce yourself to our community via the New Member Welcome Area...

Read all the rules here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21

Enjoy the forum.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:35 pm
SHOOTER13 wrote:Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum !!

Enjoy the forum.

I did. Back on October 26th, after the first time you pointed out the rule in this thread. This is now the third time you've asked me to do this in this thread. It's beginning to get annoying.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:03 pm
cpaspr wrote:
SHOOTER13 wrote:Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum !!

Enjoy the forum.

I did. Back on October 26th, after the first time you pointed out the rule in this thread. This is now the third time you've asked me to do this in this thread. It's beginning to get annoying.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Shooter must have that note copied and past :o

Tehehe................I like to be a tease Life is to short!

.....................Ol Deuce

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:38 pm
I'm about to buy a 1923 Win 1895 .30Govt06 but just read about headspace problems with some of these guns chambered in this caliber. In viewing the corrosion at the Chamber opening in this picture..is this an indicator of that problem? I sure can use the help before I lay down big money. Thanks in advance for any help!
I'm new and don't know how to post a picture. Hopefully this link works.

I just noticed that this is in the 1894 and not the 1895 Thread...can it be moved?

Return to Winchester Model 1894