Winhester 70 Barrel Help

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:10 pm
Hi guys,

New to the forum, and should've joined ealier, but just didn't. Although now I'm perplexed at my Winchester 70.

So my 70 sports a stamped HV 223 Rem barrel, that I think is 1:9? I did the patch method 3 times, and once used a brass brush to see if it would change, but still came at 1:9, although factory said it was made in 1:12. Has anybody seen this before? Seems to be a 24" barrel, serial number is G23XXXXI. That is the Letter I on the end, which I can't seem to find on other serial numbers for the Model 70, although, I haven't handled many personally.

So all in all, just wondering if the previous owner maybe changed barrels or something?

Thanks for the help in advance, may save me from buying a new barrel!!!! :shock:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:48 am
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum !!

Please introduce yourself to our community via the New Member Welcome Area...a mandatory step for membership here...

Enjoy the forum.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:06 pm
Pictures would make this easier...A Sporter Varmint is 1 in 12 twist. The Coyote, stainless or blued with a laminated stock would be a 1 in 9 twist.

Return to Winchester Model 70