Missed a factory defect

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:38 pm
First post from a new member.

I recently picked up a new Model 70 Super Grade and didn't notice until I got home that the magazine follower doesn't go to the very top of the magazine. Upon close inspection, there's a small rise in the metal casting of the magazine chamber that makes the follower stop about a half-inch below the top of magazine. As a result, when only one or two cartridges are in the magazine, they're too low for the extractor claw to latch onto them properly. Works great as a push feed but practically useless as a controlled-feed. I figured this out after comparing the action to that of my Columbia,SC made Model 70 Featherweight. Can't say I've ever purchased a new rifle with a defective magazine follower, and especially one that carries the cost of a Super Grade. The rifle is currently awaiting assignment by a gunsmith at the Winchester Service Center in Missouri. This is definitely something that anyone buying a new Model 70 should check before taking it home. Hopefully, Winchester will send me another one rather than a new one that's been grounded down to make the parts fit.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:58 pm
Just wanted to post a follow up to my original post in hopes it may help someone who has seen this same problem down the road.

The Winchester Service Center sent my rifle back after replacing the magazine spring, which had no effect on correcting the problem. I decided to take a closer look myself, and after removing the magazine floor plate and magazine box, I found the top sides of the box were bent slightly towards the center of the box, kind of like what you see with some detachable magazines that keep the top cartridge centered in the magazine. Not sure if this was by design or not but whatever the case, it kept the magazine follower from reaching high enough to keep pressure on a single cartridge sitting at the top of the magazine. I simply straightened each side of the box at the top, put everything back together, and the rifle now control feeds perfectly.

I would be very interested to learn if anyone else has seen this problem on Model 70's chambered in a short-action caliber, as I'm thinking the shorter casing might be less forgiving on a controlled-feed action.

Return to Winchester Model 70