Trouble with magazine sleeve

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:26 am
My grandpa left me a post 64 model 70 in .22-250. When I got it, I disassembled it to clean it. When I went to put it back together, I couldn't get the magazine sleeve to fit back in place properly. I have spent hours on it and can't figure out what I am doing wrong. I can't get it flush with everything else. Any ideas?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:08 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum Kolby !!

Can you post some pictures of the problem area...?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:02 pm
Hi mate,

Is it a blind magazine model or does it have a floor plate?

I had the same problem with a blind mag model. I had a few cracks at it before it finally sat right so I can understand your frustration. Mine being a blind mag model, what I did was insertted the mag box under the action. Placed the spring base, spring and follower unit into the stock and then brought the two together pushing and pulling the follower through till it sat in its correct position so the stock mates the action. I have a couple of cracks at it before it sat right. If you have a floorplate then that needs to be secured into the stock with the spring and follower attached before you try this.

I got to a stage where I was going to try some bluetac to hold things in place as I was getting mighty miffed as the bugger wouldn't sit right.

I hope that is clear as mud for you.

Cheers

Jorge
“The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!”

Return to Winchester Model 70