Model 70 Alaskan Stainless Laminate Questions

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:26 pm
Does anyone know the barrel contours used on the new Model 70 Alaskan Stainless Laminate models? I noted that they are rated at 9 lbs and I am interested in the rifle so I was wondering what the barrel contour was for the different calibers. Does anyone have any real world experience with this model yet? I would definitely have to kill the shine off the stainless which is a shame that the factory does not do it for the consumer. I have not made my mind up on caliber yet. I let a guy talk me into selling him my .375 H&H I hunted with in Wyoming but now that I’m in Southern California I really don’t need another other than I just LOVE a great .375 H&H and a want to hunt bears with it. Of course there are other calibers that kill bears though. It’s just that the .375 H&H duplicates the ballistics of the .30-06 I grew up shooting with just with a lot bigger bullet. But then a .300 Win Mag or even another .30-06 in this model would handle the Black Bears I will most likely ever be able to hunt again during my remaining lifetime, at a cheaper price in the wallet and in recoil on my aging body. If only the wallet was equal to the eye candy.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:08 am
I don't know the barrel contour but can answer your other questions: Winchester only made 150 of the Wood Laminate, SS rifles in 375 H&H so they're harder to find than chicken teeth. The only other SS rifles you can get from them are in that plastic crap that feels like plastic and is slippery as hell when wet (is it ever NOT wet in Alaska?). You can get the laminate, SS in other calibers (like 30-06) but not the big boy 37h H&H. I also love the 375 - ballistics info are great, but in my many years of hunting I have seen that some bullets just seem to "kill" more than others. The 375 is that one - hit anything and it goes down. I won't argue shot placement, etc. the 37h H&H just sems to KILL! I say 9lbs is just right for this caliber - I carry it in a dual sling that basically turns my gun into a "backpack", so I don't even notice the weight - I stopped slinging a rifle over one shoulder long ago. These double slings are great, won't tire you out, you can climb around and use both hands...I was sold on 'em 1st try. Buying one of these is money in the bank - actually better since you can actually play and enjoy your gun, anyone play with money? If you need to sell it (hopefully not) then you will always have plenty of folks that will gladly trade their greenbacks for one. The Alaskan is CRF - something that makes it (better) than the pre-64 model (pre-64's were not SS). IMO - You can spend a lot more money and you just won't get a better gun. My next trip is for a moose in Alaska - this is the baby I'll take with me. (oh, iron sights - no scope).

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:35 pm
I just bought a Winchester Model 70 Alaskan Stainless with Composit stock in .375 H&H Mag today over the phone. Didn't think about the composit stock being slick. I'll figure something out. Any ideas?

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:50 pm
Bought the Stainless Laminate .375 H&H this spring. Where do you get the "only 150 were made" figure. I found mine on the shelf at Three Bears in Wasilla. So far so good, it's been raining lie crazy up here!

.22LR
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:46 pm
Just got to shoot my Alaskan laminate in .338 Win Mag this last week to sight in the irons. Very comfortable rifle to shoot. My nephew can't wait to get his in .300 Win Mag out of layaway after shooting mine.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:01 pm
CaseyinAlaska wrote:Bought the Stainless Laminate .375 H&H this spring. Where do you get the "only 150 were made" figure. I found mine on the shelf at Three Bears in Wasilla. So far so good, it's been raining lie crazy up here!

Also curious about production numbers. Is there a way to find how many of the other calibers were made?

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:33 pm
The stainless laminate was one of Winchester Model 70s best stocks ever. I own two. I also own a batch of Black Laminate replacement stocks as I got so interested in them. I also have a Model 700 Remington limited edition .280 in the same type of stock by Boyd. They are EXCELLENT stocks and tough and attractive!

Return to Winchester Model 70