Super Grade with fragile bluing

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:25 pm
First time poster here looking for some information. I purchased a Model 70 super grade in .300 win mag in September of 2011. Since then I've used it for two whitetail hunting trips and one trip to Africa, none of which involved particularly harsh weather. Since then, I've noticed that the bluing isn't holding up very well to even normal use. From resting the barrel against a tree branch or on the nylon tree stand arm cover, there are permanent scuff marks and scratches that won't buff out. When cleaning last year I must have dropped some simple cleaning solvent on it, which created a permanent etched mark. Even pushing through brush in the woods has been marking it up.

This I figured might be because of the high gloss finish, but I still wasn't too pleased. The final straw was today, when after taking it out of the case after two months of storage (it was dry when it went in), I saw that the floorplate is all pitted with spots of rust. I have rifles that are 30 years old and have been through hell and back with casual maintenance that have never shown any rust or pitting. I have trouble believing that the bluing on a super grade would be this fragile, any suggestions or experience with this?

Thanks
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:51 am
I had a similar problem with a model 94AE, the damage was already done when I purchased it. The previous owner had it stored in a case and it was starting to show some signs of rust and pitting. Since the time I bought it, I've just put a light coat of FP-10 oil on it before storage and I keep it in my gun safe without a case and it hasn't got any worse.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:17 pm
I'd expect to see something if I'd stored it for a long time in a damp environment, but this was an almost new rifle that I put away dry in a case for 2 months. I can't believe that the bluing would be this fragile, especially all the marks from branches and things.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:36 pm
If you are using an open cell type foam lined case, then I can see how the rusting can happen. These types of cases are really bad for holding in and attracting moisture, they also wick away any protective oil film left ater cleaning. It does seem kind of strange that it is scratching so easily, did you try Winchester's tech support on this one? You can call the tech support number at (800) 945-5237 or (801) 876-3440. It might be worth a try to see if someone there can explain whats happening.

Return to Winchester Model 70