300 win mag

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:58 pm
Hi I am having some issues with my model 70 300 win mag ie the bolt gets increasingly hard to extract
with each shot,
the chamber and headspace are clean and it seems that it has suffered from amateur gunsmithing in the past is it possible to source a new or replacement bolt head or complete bolt and if it is where do i start ?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:08 pm
Are you noticing other signs of too much pressure like primers being pushed back out of the pockets or cratered firing pin impressions in the primer strikes? First couple of things that come to mind are headspace issues or maybe something causing a minor obstruction like lead or copper fouling in the bore ? What kind of gunsmithing was performed on it in the past that makes you believe it was amateur work ?

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:39 am
Hi thanks for coming back, the cases are fine no signs of pressure on the case or primers, my gunsmith says that the bolt has been got at by someone in the past as when you pull back the bolt it seems to cant over with the leverage on the bolt handle, the first couple of rounds are ok then it starts to get tighter and tighter untill i have to tap it with the heel of my hand to extract. he says that he can try to machine the bolt head to try and cure it but i wonder if it would pay to go straight in and get a new bolt or bolt head what do you think.
I have another mod 70 in 270 and that has always been slick and easy to extract
Steve

Return to Winchester Model 70