Will this stock fit?

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:27 pm
Hi, I have a 1965 Model 70 in .270REM. I have the opportunity to purchase a LA stock, however it is for a magnum caliber. I was wondering if the stock inletting is larger for the magnum LA stock vs. the regular stock, ie. possibly where the barrel joins the receiver,etc.? The rifle is in 95% condition and I do not want it to look bad if the furniture does not look good. Thanks, Marty
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:40 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum !!

Can't help you with that question....but I'm sure someone here will.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:16 pm
Hey Morti55,

Do you know whether the stock was for a 7mm rem mag or 300 wing mag? If so it will fit ok.

Post 64 Winchester rifles were of one regular (30-06) action size up until 1981 (short action introduced), with different size magazine boxes and followers to accommodate the smaller cartridges (222,223 & 243) and the magnum cartridges.

I'd say you have a 99% chance that your rifle will fit that stock. Just need to check if any bedding was done to the stock. The factory barrel profiles are pretty consistent as I have fitted winchester stocks with bedding that have fitted my factory barelled rifles perfectly but this may not always be the case. If it is factory original stock without mods there should not be any problems.

Cheers

Jorge
“The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!”

Return to Winchester Model 70