1953 Winchester Model 70 300 H&H Magnum rechambered to 300 W

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:40 am
1953 Winchester Model 70 300 H&H Magnum rechambered to 300 Weatherby Magnum

I inherited this rifle from my father-in-law so it is a keeper, but would like to know more about it.

Serial puts it in 1953. Bore is clean as is the action, but there is some pitting and corrosion on the barrel as well as bluing missing and corrosion near the muzzle.

The wood is in good shape, but aged and there is more corrosion on the floor plate.

What is something like this worth as-is? I was thinking about refurbishing it, bringing it back to like new but don't want to 'ruin' it if it is better off unmolested.

Pics
Markings
Floor Plate
Pitting
Barrel Corrosion

Thanks in advance!

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:07 pm
Preacher, I am not a collector but my opinion is that the original rechambering took this rifle out of the realm of a collector piece. Others may disagree. In any case, as a family heirloom, I would find it very valuable. If I owned it and had access to an excellent smith I would not hesitate to have it restored. I believe pre 1964 Model 70s will always attract attention. Well, as long as us old guys are around, anyhow. Good luck with it.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:10 pm
Preacher, I am not a collector but my opinion is that the original rechambering took this rifle out of the realm of a collector piece

I hadn't considered that. I have seen multiple mentions of people doing the same thing with this rifle, so I didn't think it was a big deal.

Ok, no worries there, now to find a good smith!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:12 pm
p.d. is correct...changing the caliber from the original chambering will destroy the value of the piece.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:48 am
I have a same model 70 that was Weatherbyised. I had it rebarreled with a Douglas Premium in 338 Win. The H&H long action allowed the 338 bullets to be seated out where they should be. I also had the chamber made with a little freebore to accept the longer rounds. I have it still in the original stock with a Decel pad. Still kicks like a mule with 225gr Hornady and 74gr H4831. Very accurate with 1" groups at 100 every time. Year after year.

Return to Winchester Model 70