Current Model 70's - varmint calibers

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:19 pm
Hey all, my name is Dave and I am a Winchester Model 70 fan. Just happened across this site.

Does anyone know why Winchester has almost a non-existent selection of varmint chambers, especially in their standard grade? I am assume they think they can't make a buck off them but I would love to see them start putting out a broader selection of the varminters...especially a .204 Ruger in standard grade!!! And not some weird synthetic like the coyote light (no offense to anyone who likes them, just not my taste). Or heck, at least bring back a custom shop!

Anyway, maybe I am the only one who feels this way but I have even go so far as to call and tell them this. Just wondering if anyone else would like to see them expand their product line to varmint chambers. Thanks, Dave

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:41 pm
Preach it, Dave. I'd like to see a moderately heavy barreled .220 Swift but I doubt that will ever happen.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:06 pm
I've given up on the .220 swift as well. It's my favorite caliber and I own several to include a pre-64 I inherited from my dad. I would love to get a new M70 in that caliber. Heck, it seems like nobody is making them anymore.

The guns Winchester's making today are nice. It just kills me that they won't get back into the varmints and I desperately want a .204 so I guess I'll have to go with another brand which, I really don't want to do since I believe Winchester's accuracy/fit and finish to dollars spent is by far the best on the market.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:27 pm
I hear ya. I loved the push feed variation after owning a StealthII in .308. I miss the simplicity of the hunting trigger. So what did I do? I sought out a "Wanted to Buy" post in one of our gun forums here in Canada and found a Winnie owner who parted with an older Hvy Varmint in .308 that he had cut down and installed a VAIS Brake to bring the barrel length to 20". :D

Just perfect for our Precision Rifle matches here in Base Borden, north of Toronto, Ontario. :)

Now to find a Wintuff or Lightweight M70 push feed in .22-250 and with a synthetic stock....

Cheers and regards,
Barney

Return to Winchester Model 70