How are the stainless steel barrels made?

.22LR
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:08 pm
I know how the standard blued barrels are made but Winchester makes a distinction between those and the stainless barrels without explaining how the stainless ones are made. Is it the same hammer forged process or something else? The following is from Winchester: "With the exception of the stainless version, every Model 70 barrel is cold hammer-forged from a solid billet of steel for accuracy and long life." So I know there is a difference, just not sure what it is.

.22LR
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:36 pm
Ok...it seems that I am not the only one in the dark about how the stainless barrels are made. Just put a Model 70 Alaskan stainless/laminate in .338 Win Mag on layaway so will soon get a chance to find out how well it shoots. Sure feels nice.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 4:24 pm
The best write up on current barrel manufacture is on Gunner's Den and it lists accurate FN barrel making notes that are quite complete. This is how the current stainless steel barrels are made. Pretty much the same as chromoly blue steel barrels. Runs and equipment used for stainless barrels are done the same but what I have learned they are not mixed in the same machinery. But the methods and procedures are the same. The solid billets of Blue Steel and Stainless though do have somewhat different properties. Experts think there are little practical shooting differences between the two types. I own 8 model 70s with blue barrels and four with stainless steel. My Model 700 Remingtons in both stainless and standard blued barrel are both excellent but Remington quality and especially triggers have had some difficult times. For what is it worth the Dakotas owned by Remington but managed totally separate are amount the finest rifles ever made but are very expensive. Too bad Winchester does still not have stocks which could be factory set up in custom quality! That is a Dakota advantage but comes at a high price tag. The stainless barrels made by Winchester are made in the USA in the Carolinas by FN

Return to Winchester Model 70