Model 70???

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:44 am
I have a Winchester bolt action rifle serial #39163A, it has a heavy barrel marked on top with"barreled by Griffen & Howe New York" There is NO stamp as to the caliber; however it seems to be ~.243?
On the left hand of the receiver it is stamped Winchester and below that trademarked. The top of the receiver is a series of lines approximately a 1/4" wide. It has a peep sight and a banded front sight.
It does not have a release for the shells in front of the trigger guard. I don't know if the stock is stock, but it has cut checkering and a bolt underneath in the for-arm in front of the trigger guard ~ a foot. The action seems to be a mauser type. I need help identifying this rifle. A .243 Winchester shell was able to be loaded. Thank You for any help! George

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:49 pm
Pictures would be a world of help. By your description it sounds like a Model 54 that had the good fortune of being run through the custom shop of Griffin and Howe of Broadway St. NY, NY. Griffin and Howe did some very fine and classic work.

Please post some pictures of it!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:35 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum !!

+1 on pics of any markings...

Return to Winchester Model 70