Questions before I buy my first pre 64

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:22 am
A couple days ago I spotted a very nice Winchester Model 70 that was manufactured in 1948. This particular one is 270 WCF. This gun is in 90% + condition but I still have a few questions since this will be my first Winchester pre 64(I have the Model 70 extreme weather mfg. in Columbia, SC).

1. This one has a scope. Did someone drill and tap holes for this scope or did the 1948 ones already have holes drilled and tapped?

2. Is there anything in particular I need to look for when purchasing a pre 64(problems, alterations etc.)

3. The price is $900.00 out the door. Based on a 90% gun my 2011 Blue Book says $750.00. I know these are highly collectible, is the book just low? Are 2013 prices higher?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and have a nice week. Take care.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:23 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum !!

Prices are based on what the market ( buyer ) will bear...a collector looking for that model from thaat year might pay that price, but a shooter might not.

The Blue Book is based on much research of the market and current pricing...it is usually correct.

Return to Winchester Model 70