The current Model 70 action?

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:10 am
With the current crop of FN built Model 70's, are there any action (receiver/bolt/safety) differences between all of the M70 models? In essence, would the working parts of the Super Grade be the same as in an Ultimate Shadow? Are the real differences in the stock and any cosmetic appointments?

.22LR
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:11 pm
There is no differences that I've been able to see. The only differences are in finish and wood quality and the use of an all steel floorplate trigger guard unit like that on the Safari grade rifle. Something I would like to see on ALL Model 70's though is a return to the machined feed rails instead of the common use of stamping them out of the sheet metal of the magazine box.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 4:03 pm
I have quite a few Model 70 Winchesters built from 1962 to present. The 1985 or 1987 models i feel were still pretty good. The latest ones though in my strong opinion are about the best ever made. I have the Cabela's limited edition Model 70 Featherweight in .257 Roberts (fantastic Quality) the Jack O'Connor Tribute Rifle in .270, the Model 70 Super Grade .243 Shot Show Special (very recent and awesome quality) and the Ultimate Shadow SS (mine is in .243 WInchester) which I rate as for the price absolutely perfect quality. In all of these rifles the action and other workmanship is excellent. The worse in terms of some fine details as to stock fitting were the 1985 to 1987. The current models though are off the shelf the best rifle made in the world for the price I believe. EVERYTIME I buy another rifle I try Tikkas, Model 700 Remingtons, even Dakotas.....will say the Dakotas are lovely but very pricey compared to the Model 70s. If I didn't get a Winchester Model 70 I would get a Dakota. The price of the Dakotas though runs about $10,000 for what I insist on for details....makes the current Model 70 action look like a very special deal!!!
I have had gun makers and designers who really know rifles look at them too. To me it is somewhat surprising the AR 15 type rifle is that popular......

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:08 pm
Interesting Post Davey. I picked up a 2015 Winchester catalog when I was in Grice Gun Shop in Clearfield, PA the other day. The technical specs of the different Model 70's as well as the prices for what you get are impressive.

My Model 70 Classic was made at the New Haven Plant in 2001 and is of excellent quality. I have to admit that if I had more "mad money" I would be tempted to buy a Model 70 Supergrade. But I have more rifles than I could actually made good use of at my ripe old age of 67.

Anyone that is young enough to invest in firearms has a lot of choices. For me, I will be working on completely outfitting the rifles I already own.

Mike T.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:27 pm
@ Mike T: Great to hear from YOU!!! I am older than 67 but at some point you are RIGHT that enough is enough and get the rifles you have set up right! I have been tremendously impressed with the Super Grade Model 70s! I own one in .243 Winchester so a 22" barrel. It has a lovely tiger striped American Walnut stock. The fit and finish on that rifle is unbelievable for the price. However it is also the single heaviest Model 70 I own including 24 inch barrel Model 70s in .243!

I personally think having owned a dozen Model 70s the current one is the best one ever made. I have actually shot Jack O'Connors .270 Winchester rifle that he called the number #2 rifle. I have a photo that was sent to me by Bradford O'Connor of that rifle. That was the rifle Winchester used for the Jack O'Connor Tribute and Custom Tribute rifles. I have one of those too. Of all of the Winchester Model 70s I have owned the Cabela's 50th Anniversary .257 Roberts is very close to my favorite but I admit i am pretty protective of that rifle. The barrel and action on that .257 Roberts is truly something to write home about and it is considered a current model. Cabela's did however want a unquestionable Model 70 barrel and action and achieved that to say the least. With a high grade walnut stock that is one of the lightest Model 70s I own. I personally see little reason for a cheek piece. However the bigger the caliber and recoil the heavier stock and even barrel has much to offer. But in say up to .257 Roberts I prefer as light a stock weight as possible. The thinnest barrel profiles though are NOT a target for me as i feel that a rifle should shoot pretty well with a fairly hot barrel. The Super Grades are awesome in that regard.

I tend to test my barrels foremost with cold barrel shots as I feel that is best for practical hunting applications.

Soon I will post some of the photos.

.22LR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:24 pm
Only have the SC FN standard grade FWT in 243 and a pre war in 30/06 but am impressed by the quality of even the standard model. Had an issue with accuracy at first until I found what it likes. The 243 is easily capable of MOA 3 shot groups with jacketed and close to 2MOA with cast. Wood is not fancy, but definitely NOT pallet lumber. Fit and finish are excellent and the bolt operation is the smoothest I have ever felt on any bolt action I've owned (and I've owned quite a few). The early M70's were supposed to be from the glory days of rifle making, but my pre-war can't hold a candle to the new one.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:50 pm
To Rich/Wis: I sure thought my .243 SS Ultimate Shadow would be sensitive to what ammo. It is one of three .243 Winchester Model 70s I own. Come to think of it all of them shoot MOA on about anything. The STRANGE thing about my collection I do not own a single Model 70 FWT. To me that is an error! And by that I mean the Model 70 FWT CURRENT standard model. WHY???? Because anymore it is IMPOSSIBLE to find a single Model 70 FWT on the shelves of dealers in almost any caliber! I think this is deplorable since they are SO well made!Cannot even explain why I don't have a 7mm08 FWT or a .308 FWT. And despite the fact that I totally believe in getting as high end wood stock as possible (providing you like the figure) just getting a pleasing wood stock is quite good. I do wish though Winchester would make a Super Grade FWT. I would consider that to be the most collectable Winchester Model 70!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:19 am
Davey:

I keep checking several Internet Sales Sights for used rifles, I have only seem one Supergrade in the last few months. It was a 300 Winchester Mag and I already own a rifle in that caliber. I have a rifle made by Zastava (Servia) that comes equipped with a Mauser K98 Long Action. Remington contracted Zastava to make the rifle under Remington name as the Model 798. All Remington did was ship them the stocks and Zastava did the rest. Absolutely beautiful rifle.
I would be more interested in a 308 instead of another Magnum. Living in Central PA even a 300 WM is overkill, based on the size of the average game animal. So far, no luck finding a 308 that I would buy, but its not like its something I have to have tomorrow. I have a Mauser Sporter chambered in 30-06 so I do own a quality 30 caliber rifle that is not a Magnum that I can shoot at the Range without spending big bucks on ammunition to practice. Anyway barrels on Magnums don't last anywhere near as long as a non Magnun rifle, so all the way around, standard ammunition 30 calibers is more practical.
So I will keep looking for a SG 308.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:53 pm
@miket156: You are wise to be looking for a .308 Model 70. I have once in a while seen a featherweight standard that was very good. Problem is right now every dealer I know with the possible exception of Kittery Trading Post in Maine has NOTHING in stock on the shelf and this gets you into a very tenuous situation because you have to buy the rifle sight unseen. The current action are so good it is unreal. EVERY single Model 70 I have seen recently was worth buying. However I do NOT want every caliber made and the magnums are the first rifle cartridge I plain avoid.

Joseph Del Assandro had a great article he titled The 7mm08, The Cure for the Magnum Addiction. It was published by Real Guns his Internet that comes out of Maine. I regard that article as one of the best single rifle articles I have seen in recent years. The .308 is very closely related of course and I would have a tough time taking one or the other (from 7mm08). Both have low recoil and are very good all around calibers. Dakota who make some of the highest ended (barely affordable) bolt actions in the world make a lot of 7mm08s. Just how you are going to get a Model 70 set up your way short of an unseen order is a mystery to me. However I talk to gun dealers very often and almost to the single person they recommend a Model 70. And they rarely express the magnum craze or even interest. They always say to me be sure you get the caliber you want. lots of support for .243s etc. But despite the fact that my last four were .243s I would almost ALWAYS pick .7mm08 or .308 as better for almost every big game target.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:04 pm
Another aspect I think is somewhat important between say .243 or 7mm08 or .308 is that the larger the caliber the lighter the rifle weight on the same barrel profile and that to me is somewhat a .308 advantage. Splitting hairs, YES! But it is a little discouraging to be chasing that 71/2 pound hunting rifle and ending up with a total of 8 1/2 pounds which when you are actually pulling the trigger is OK but carrying it is nicer when they are lighter. I do myself not like the current featherweight Jack O'Connor my friend did not like Schnabel front ends. I also do not like skip line checkering. Still I have seen stocks in wood on that new Model 70 that were worth buying right then and there! The FWT Model 70 is the right weight. I see almost no compact FWTs. Yet I can tell you from lots of range experience the caliber that handles almost BEST in a 20inch barrel is .308!

Return to Winchester Model 70