Jack O'Connor Custom Tribute Review

.22LR
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:16 pm
Well fellow Winchester fans, I got my new Winchester Jack O'Connor Custom Tribute yesterday and to be honest, never been more disappointed in a gun in my life. The major issue was the checkering. The forearm checkering felt like velvet and the right side of the forearm has a series of 3 ridges about a half inch apart The checkering honestly looked like it had been sanded down and filled with linseed oil or a wood finish. The next issue was the ebony grip cap. The cap is about 1/32 an inch higher than the wood where it joins the stock. Not a lot but you can feel it easily when you slide your hand up the stock and you can see it when the gun is held horizontally. Then I checked the barrel and it is only floated about 10 inches and then makes contact with the wood. I couldn't get a piece of paper or a crisp 20$ bill to go past 10"'s. Finally, the metal butt plate extends about 1/16" below the stock and overhangs both sides about the last 1/3 the way down. Can't figure out what happened here but I am very disappointed. I called Winchester and they sent me a UPS label for pick-up and said they will look at it and see what they can do. I got the impression that they think I don't know what I am talking about but I know good checkering when I see and feel it. My Kimbers, my Brownings, even my new model Winchesters all have very sharp and clean checkering. They said to expect 4 weeks so I will update on the site then but for now, I couldn't be more disappointed in the quality I received in that gun. Maybe I should have just gone with the Kimber Super America and had the O'Connor floor-plate installed? What a waste of the most beautiful piece of AAA walnut I have ever seen in my life. Maybe they will get it fixed, we'll see. Sincerely, Jim.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:15 pm
I'm sure Winchester will strive to fulfill your needs...

Return to Winchester Model 70