Jack O'Connor Custom Tribute is very disappointing

.22LR
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:20 pm
Well my dream gun came in yesterday, a new Winchester JOC Custom Tribute and to be honest, I have never been more disappointed in a gun in my life. The major issue was the checkering but there are other issues as well. The forearm checkering felt like velvet and the right side of the forearm has a series of 3 ridges about a half inch apart The checkering honestly looked like it had been sanded down and filled with linseed oil or a wood finish. The next issue was the ebony grip cap. The cap is about 1/32 an inch higher than the wood where it joins the stock. Not a lot but you can feel it easily when you slide your hand up the stock and you can see it when the gun is held horizontally. Then I checked the barrel and it is only floated about 10 inches and then makes contact with the wood. I couldn't get a piece of paper or a crisp 20$ bill to go past 10"'s. Finally, the metal butt plate extends about 1/16" below the stock and overhangs both sides about the last 1/3 the way down. Can't figure out what happened here but I am very disappointed. I called Winchester and they sent me a UPS label for pick-up and said they will look at it and see what they can do. I got the impression that they think I don't know what I am talking about but I know good checkering when I see and feel it. My Kimbers, my Brownings, even my new model Winchesters all have very sharp and clean checkering. They said to expect 4 weeks so I will update on the site then but for now, I couldn't be more disappointed in the quality I received in that gun. Maybe I should have just gone with the Kimber Super America and had the O'Connor floor-plate installed? What a waste of the most beautiful piece of AAA walnut I have ever seen in my life. Maybe they will get it fixed, we'll see. Sincerely, Jim.

.22LR
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:24 pm
You are THE only one ever to report anything negative so obviously its not the norm. I know you are disappointed but..... Dont you think you should let Winchester take care of it before you go around on all the forums and start publicly slamming it? Take a deep breath and let the custom shop work on it. If it comes back not to your satisfaction then that might be a good time to voice your disappointment. This stuff happens from Rolls Royce to Rolex.

Vendor
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:10 pm
What Custom Shop? The Custom Shop went out when the factory in New Haven Ct. closed.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:00 pm
When substandard workmanship is allowed to slip past QC and inspection its just not acceptable, especially when you are purchasing a tribute rifle that is supposed to be "best of the best" in fit and finish and overall quality. I'd have to say that I'd be very upset about this whole situation too, and I really hope they make it right for you. I'd expect nothing but absolute perfection if I was to spend the extra $ on a Custom tribute. Do you think JOC would have accepted anything less than perfection if it was his rifle?

.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:49 pm
Skinner-T, I agree wholeheartedly with your post and no sir, I do not believe Mr. O'Connor would have accepted anything less than what I am expecting. I did get an update and Winchester told me to expect about a 2 month turn-around from the service department. I was told that the wood may have shrank or changed shape between the time it was manufactured and the time that I purchased it. Apparently this gun sat in a dealers vault for a while before I purchased it but I don't know exactly how long and neither did the rep have an exact date of shipment on the gun to the dealer. The rep left me with confidence as he told me he believes they can fix anything wrong with the stock but the woodwork is labor intensive and will take some time to refit and refinish the stock. We shall see but I am hoping it turns out well. Surely Winchester can and will make this right. I'll keep updating as things move along.

.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:49 am
I would like to see a picture of the defects. We might better be able to get a general consensus how bad "bad" is. You are surely to find a defect in any product if put under a macro lens and look for it.

Return to Winchester Model 70