Pre-war Winchester Model 70 Stock

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:07 pm
Hi,

I am brand new to this forum, and I have a question to throw out there for anyone who might happen to know the answer. I have acquired an original pre war Winchester standard model 70 stock. It is in very fine condition with no cracks or notable mars. What I don't know is what the (three) stamps are inside. The letter "J" is stamped on the bottom of the forward trigger/magazine screw hole; and the letter "B" is stamped at the base of the barrel, and the number "37" is stamped about 1 1/2" above that, inside the forearm of the stock. What do these letters and numbers signify? Possibly date of manufacture and barrel/action type or caliber?

I also was wondering if anyone out there has ever tried to rebuild/restore a pre-war Model 70 from scratch; and if it would be worth the effort vs just selling the stock.

Thanks,
Scrumper-Dave
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:16 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum Dave !!

.22LR
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:46 pm
I checked the stock on my pre-war, only marking was an 82 in the barrel channel between the forend tip and inlet for the mid barrel screw. May relate to serial # of rifle it was mated to, but this is not the original stock so no way to be sure.

Return to Winchester Model 70