What Model 70 do I have

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:22 pm
I have just purchased a used Model 70, which according to the serial number is a 1973. I am trying to figure out what model it is. Caliber is .243, barrel length from tip to action is 21", has manual sights, has plain walnut stock with impressed checkering and a metal pistol grip cap (appears to be missing a coverplate that covers the attaching screw), plastic buttplate, closed magazine (no external magazine plate), bolt shows signs of jeweling on the bottom, but the jeweling has faded on the visible surfaces of the bolt.

Any help in identifying this will be appreciated.

Thanks,
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:07 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum !!

Pre-'64 Model 70s bring a substantial price premium due to a public perception that they were better, as they had several desirable features (Mauser-type controlled round feed, cut checkering) that the post-'64 version did not.

Pre-'64 Model 70 Winchester rifles can best be identified by serial number and the presence of a fore-end screw to secure the barrel to the stock.

As far as "variants" of the Model 70:

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/ ... amily=001C

Of course, pictures of the rifle and it's barrel markings would help us help you...

http://www.photobucket.com

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:30 pm
Thanks for the quick response. I know it's a post 64, but I can't determine what variant. I think it's a featherweight, but the pictures of all the ones I have seen have the magazine latch and door. Mine does not, smooth walnut on the bottom.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:29 pm
Please provide the pictures required if you still want my help...top / bottom / markings on the barrel.

(You can use the PhotoBucket link to host all your images for free...)

Otherwise...I can only guess at what you have.
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:20 pm
Hey Gobbs,

I think you will either have a Winchester model 670 which came out in 243 Win and 30-06 which was an economy model like the Remington 700 ADL (which I have one in 243) or a Winchester 70 Westerner which was also a base model with a blind mag. The Model 670 had a smooth bolt handle without the knurled ring that the Winchester Model 70's tend to have. But if the bolt was changed then you can check the writing on the barrel. I know mine says model 670. If the barrel is not original then it could be either.

Sounds like I made more confusing than clear.

Cheers

Jorge
“The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!”

Return to Winchester Model 70