My first pre 64 Model 70?

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:57 pm
My first post on here - thanks for any help/feedback.

I’m looking at a Model 70 pre 64. Got the serial number and it looks like the action was made in 1957. The bore looks good and from what I can tell the lands seem pretty sharp, etc. What do you make of the wear marks on the bolt, extractor (see closeup) - seem normal? The stock has weird checkering (like it’s been messed with) and an after market butt pad but I’m thinking the wood could still be original to the gun. Somebody gutted the wood around the barrel to make it free floating I guess :(

The guy says the scope is a good one (Leupold) although I don’t really care about it much. I want to go back to original iron and maybe even add a peep at some point.

I thought I could buy it, clean it and take it to the range just the way it is to see how it shoots with the scope off the bench. Might be fun for a test. Then remove the scope and replace the iron sights (Lyman seems to still sell iron sights that are close to original for this year gun?). Strip the stock, try to determine how bad the checkering is and then maybe do a simple oil finish. Then find an original steel butt plate at some point, or just put a decent simple Pachmayr, etc. on. I don’t think the length (stock) has been messed with. Maybe even find another stock at some point? A project gun.

Any opinions? :) image issues - please see next post :)
Last edited by gelierb on Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:01 pm
elier_sample.jpg
elier_sample.jpg (145.4 KiB) Viewed 4698 times

Not sure why my attachment won't show?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:15 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum gelierb !!

Sounds like a good project...!!

BTW...that Leupold scope is top of the line.

If you need any parts, try here:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers.htm

( As far as the attachment...try it again below ! )
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:10 pm
Hi gerlieb,

I'm no expert on pre 64's but if the rifle was in it's original condition I wouldn't be doing any restoration work on it as you will decrease it's collectible value. By looking at your pictures I am not sure they came out with rubber buttpads in 1957. Also I'm not sure what year they starting drilling and tapping for scope mounts. There are more qualified people on this forum to answer those questions.

If you want to buy original pre 64 parts including stocks there are plenty on eBay.

I wish the pre 64's in Australia didn't cost over $2k I'd like to get one myself but I would not pay that kind of money for a common caliber and a rifle that has been modified.

Cheers

Jorge
“The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!”

Return to Winchester Model 70