Pre-64 Mod. 70 7mmSTW

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:16 am
Need any input I can get. I recently aquired a Mod. 70 chambered in 7mm STW. When I ran the serial number on the receiver it shows it was manufactured in 1954. It appears that the wood furniture is original (and it is beautiful). The 7mmSTW was developed in the late 70's and did not appear on the commercial market until the late 80's. My assumption is that this rifle was re-barreled and re-chambered in the late 80's early 90's. Judging by the quality of the work done it leads me to believe that the work was done at the Winchester custom shop. I've exhausted every resource to this point trying to determine the factual history of the rifle and a value. Any help, opinions, suggestions or info would be deeply appreciated.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:02 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum MDN !!

Have you talked with Winchester customer service about this...!?

http://www.winchesterguns.com/customers ... asp?id=244

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:54 pm
Shooter13, I contacted Winchester and was put in touch with one of their historians. He told me that since Winchester was acquired by Browning that the Winchester records were in the hands of the ATF and that there was nothing he could do to help me. He was very apologetic and he appeared to want to know as much about the rifle as I did.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:57 pm
How about a few pictures while we wait for someone to answer your questions...!?

Return to Winchester Model 70